Council Tax from 12 years ago

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 May 2017 17:03

#1 Council Tax from 12 years ago

Post by katejameson » 29 May 2017 17:07

I have just recieved a final warning letter for £1,200 from council tax dating back to 2005 when i lived in a rented flat as a full time student!

what should i do?!

User avatar
Posts: 1799
Joined: 10 Nov 2014 14:42
Location: Nuvion

#2 Re: Council Tax from 12 years ago

Post by Michelle » 29 May 2017 21:26

If you were a full time student, you would have been exempt from council tax, as long as you met the criteria set out here: ... e-students
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.

User avatar
Posts: 1295
Joined: 30 Jul 2012 21:23

#3 Re: Council Tax from 12 years ago

Post by jasonDWB » 02 Jun 2017 21:31

Its also statute barred under section 9 of the Limitation Act 1980.

  • 9 Time limit for actions for sums recoverable by statute.

    (1)An action to recover any sum recoverable by virtue of any enactment shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.
Author, Dealing with Bailiffs. Beat the Bailiffs
Instant phone consultation with me: Click here

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest