urgent help!

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
Schedule 12

#71 Re: urgent help!

Post by Schedule 12 » 17 Mar 2017 08:04

Bailiffs get mobile numbers from the council who get it from benefit application forms.

The DVLA also keeps mobile numbers for vehicle keepers. They give it to the council who give it to the bailiff company.

Contrary to belief, bailiff companies cannot access DVLA. Its only HPI. Its the council that has online access to the motor vehicle database.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#72 Re: urgent help!

Post by Pote Snitkin » 17 Mar 2017 08:11

The OP said a debt advice service called her. How did they get the number?
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

GDB

#73 Re: urgent help!

Post by GDB » 17 Mar 2017 09:43

I do not think the caller was a genuine debt help charity - sounds more like someone from the bailiff company. Some companies use the Council offices - Thurrock is an example of that. so they would of had the OP's telephone number. There are sorts of dirty trick being used to catch people out etc.

The OP needs to speak with a proper advice centre like Stepchange for example.

crystal

#74 Re: urgent help!

Post by crystal » 19 Mar 2017 03:09

Pote Snitkin wrote:
17 Mar 2017 07:40
How did they get your number? Can you remember anything about them?
I don't know how they got my number. They called me and said they could help me write off 75% of my debts. I just did a search and I believe they are called counciltax debt advisors, I recognise the number.

Schedule 12

#75 Re: urgent help!

Post by Schedule 12 » 19 Mar 2017 08:30

They want to sell you a debt management product. OK for civil and unsecured debts. Not Ok for statutory debts.

The only way to write off council tax arrears is petitioning the council to exercise discretionary write off under Section 13(a) of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Michelle

#76 Re: urgent help!

Post by Michelle » 19 Mar 2017 11:30

crystal wrote:
19 Mar 2017 03:09
I don't know how they got my number. They called me and said they could help me write off 75% of my debts. I just did a search and I believe they are called counciltax debt advisors, I recognise the number.
Legitimate debt advisors don't go round cold calling people.
jasonDWB wrote:
19 Mar 2017 08:30
They want to sell you a debt management product. OK for civil and unsecured debts. Not Ok for statutory debts.

The only way to write off council tax arrears is petitioning the council to exercise discretionary write off under Section 13(a) of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.
Not that great for civil debts either, a lot of them are rip-offs. There is no easy way to write off 75% of your civil debts. You can do a DRO or go bankrupt, in which case you write off the whole lot, but you don't need a debt management company. They may be an IVA outfit where some of your debts could be written off, but not till you've been on it for 5 years, and paid a lot of IP fees. Or they may be a fee charging DMP provider, in which case they just arrange affordable repayments and charge you for the privilege, where you could, instead, use one of the free DMP providers.

The infamous Rankines also offered to get your debts written off, we all know where they ended up...
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.