EQUITA still knocking, even when paying.

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
Ishme1

#1 EQUITA still knocking, even when paying.

Post by Ishme1 » 12 Mar 2017 16:22

Hi,
I hope i can get some help & thank you ahead of time.

Towards the end of 2016, my partner received 2 letters from the council about missed Council tax payments.
(Due to her work schedule & general ignorance, she forgot about it)

When she called to resolve the issue (pay), she was told the issue had been passed on to bailiffs and had to deal with them, directly.

On the 24th Nov 16, she called EQUITA and paid £50 over the phone to start with.

The in December, she received an enforcement notice from EQUITA, stating she owed over £1500 including a £345 enforcement & £75 compliance from them.

She called them again but to no avail

I did some research on forums, etc & understood that she should not contact them directly anymore and deal with the Council, only.

She called the council & was told to to go back to EQUITA.

Anyway, going back to forums, i read that she should send all repayments straight to the council and cease all communications w. the bailiffs.

She'd been paying the council consistently but still receives communication from EQUITA, with the last one threatening court action.

Ive searched various forums and cant find anything to help, maybe you can. Please.

Thanks

GDB

#2 Re: EQUITA still knocking, even when paying.

Post by GDB » 12 Mar 2017 16:52

You could pay directly online to the Council, if you are in a position to pay the amount of the liability order in full then this will extinguish the liability order.

The Bailiffs can then go and whistle etc.

If the bailiffs have not been into your house and taken control of goods there is very little they can do.

Whilst the liability order is live the bailiffs will chase you,

Jason has some very good check lists available to help you within this forum.

As far as Court action, they like to put the fear of God into people, If you do end up in Court and are making a concerted effort in clearing the debt a Magistrate will not hang you from the gallows.

Schedule 12

#3 Re: EQUITA still knocking, even when paying.

Post by Schedule 12 » 12 Mar 2017 16:55

Here is the checklist. Beat the Bailiffs - Council tax
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#4 Re: EQUITA still knocking, even when paying.

Post by Pote Snitkin » 12 Mar 2017 18:14

This needs clarification.

You say £50 was paid over the phone - did you speak to someone and set up a payment plan?

The fees are wrong - if this is the first letter you've had from Equita, then the fees at this stage would be only £75.

Does the £1500 you quoted include the fees - ie is the council tax debt only around £1000?

Do you have anything of value outside your home, ie a car?
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

Ishme1

#5 Re: EQUITA still knocking, even when paying.

Post by Ishme1 » 13 Mar 2017 13:01

Thank you so much for the advice guys, i thoroughly appreciate taking the time to respond.
Youre responses have put made my partner stop worrying, so much.

Thank you GDB for the advice.
Thanks Jason for the list; im going through it now.
Thanks Pote for your response;
Clarity:
  • She spoke to someone to set up a payment plan but that fell through. They were requesting the full amount within 12 months (She couldnt do that, at the time)
  • Apologies, i mixed the information up; she has confirmed she received a letter before the hand delivered one, with the fees. :roll:
  • Yes, the £1500 includes the fees from EQUITA. She owes the council £1198.
  • She doesnt own a car & i have asked her to make sure all doors/windows are locked before leaving
Thanks

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#6 Re: EQUITA still knocking, even when paying.

Post by Pote Snitkin » 13 Mar 2017 16:18

As you've got no car, this makes matters easier - the bailiff now has nothing to hold to ransom.

You need to contact the council to inform them:
  • Equita have added the £110 sales fee unlawfully;

Equita are trying to force you into a punitive repayment plan that you cannot afford - this is against part 4.4 of the Guide for Council Tax Collection;

You now feel Equita cannot be trusted to act objectively and request the account be returned to the council as stated in part 4.3 of the guide already mentioned, to set up an affordable payment plan direct with the council.
Problem is that as this is Equita, the council is likely to be run by a company Capita who also run Equita, so a conflict of interest is present. If they get snarky about it, just let them know you are prepared to 'wait it out' until the bailiff returns the warrant voluntarily, at which point all fees are removed.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

Ishme1

#7 Re: EQUITA still knocking, even when paying.

Post by Ishme1 » 14 Mar 2017 21:01

Pote Snitkin, i truly appreciate your advice.
Clear and concise.
Many, many thanks.

Thank you all