Business Rates - It's all up to date!

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
Maicon

#1 Business Rates - It's all up to date!

Post by Maicon » 08 May 2017 13:13

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me.

A strange situation I've got myself in to, my business rates are up to date and have nothing outstanding, in January I received a letter of an outstanding balance for my business rates and like most, went about making everything right immediately. Today I have had a bailiff contact me to say there is an outstanding balance for 495 relating to court fees.

I never received a courts summons, even after two years being rejected when I asked to have my business rates letters sent to an alternative address as there are 4 businesses sharing one premises.

I don't want to pay any monies to this bailiff as I am up to date with my business rates account (which he has verified) and have been charged court fees without being told that I was being taken. The bailiff is under instruction by the local magistrates.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Schedule 12

#2 Re: Business Rates - It's all up to date!

Post by Schedule 12 » 08 May 2017 15:07

The only court fee for applying to enforce unpaid business rates if £3.

I suspect this is a bailiff company or a bailiff pretending his fees are court fees.

Contact the council and ask why they are sending bailiffs when you have evidence there is nothing outstanding.

If the fees are in respect of previous business rates you have since paid up, then the enforcement power has ended. The law does not enable bailiffs to enter premises to recover unpaid bailiffs fees.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Maicon

#3 Re: Business Rates - It's all up to date!

Post by Maicon » 08 May 2017 15:53

Hi Jason,

That's pretty much sounds spot on.

I did ask him to provide some kind of evidence from the authority who is chasing me and he forwarded me his company statement of my account.

I will get on the phones to the authorities now and hopefully have this ended with.

Thank you very much for your help Jason.

Many Thanks

Maicon