CT query + fees, etc

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
markj

#1 CT query + fees, etc

Post by markj » 27 Jul 2017 12:41

Hey guys,

I've an old CT bill from a couple of years back that had a remaining £240 on it (LO was £810 or something originally, but had been clearing it with the council) and it had been passed to Bristow and Sutor. However, I cleared the £240 amount directly with the council after some delay (and told them I was paying it to clear the account with them) and from what I can see they split the amount between themselves and Bristow and Sutor - are the council allowed to do this? I thought all monies paid would go direct to my council tax balance? I have a pdf council tax bill that shows the £240 outstanding - so clearly there were no fees on there? However, the email back from the council acknowledging the payment said they would advise Bristow and Sutor of the payment made?

Little unsure - but I didn't deal with Bristow and Sutor (ignored them totally), but was unaware if the account had been passed back or not?

Additionally, the same council are trying to charge me for 3 months in a property I wasn't in anymore - I have shown them a CT bill for my new property which contradicts the date they say I was there, but they say my previous landlord has told them I never gave notice (I did) - they say they don't take sides or get involved in personal matters. But clearly, they are taking a side? How do I prove I wasn't there anymore? The landlord was an unscrupulous git who didn't follow any of the legal requirements a landlord should follow and so clearly has been telling porkies to save him paying CT on an empty property!

Thanks for your help - great forum! I have read so many threads before creating this!

Mark

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: CT query + fees, etc

Post by Pote Snitkin » 27 Jul 2017 12:49

I wouldn't worry seeing as you're in Ireland.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

Schedule 12

#3 Re: CT query + fees, etc

Post by Schedule 12 » 27 Jul 2017 12:51

markj wrote:
27 Jul 2017 12:41
Hey guys,

I've an old CT bill from a couple of years back that had a remaining £240 on it (LO was £810 or something originally, but had been clearing it with the council) and it had been passed to Bristow and Sutor.
Where in Ireland are you?

Bristow & Sutor does not operate in Northern Ireland.

However, I cleared the £240 amount directly with the council after some delay (and told them I was paying it to clear the account with them) and from what I can see they split the amount between themselves and Bristow and Sutor - are the council allowed to do this?
It is the policy of many councils to say the money paid is shared with the bailiff company. The rules of apportionment of applies to proceeds of enforcement - money raised from the sale of goods.

All money paid comes off the liability.

I thought all monies paid would go direct to my council tax balance?
It does.

I have a pdf council tax bill that shows the £240 outstanding - so clearly there were no fees on there? However, the email back from the council acknowledging the payment said they would advise Bristow and Sutor of the payment made?
That is Okay.

Little unsure - but I didn't deal with Bristow and Sutor (ignored them totally), but was unaware if the account had been passed back or not?
You have no legal requirement to trade with a bailiff company. The council instructed them. They are the council's problem.

Additionally, the same council are trying to charge me for 3 months in a property I wasn't in anymore - I have shown them a CT bill for my new property which contradicts the date they say I was there, but they say my previous landlord has told them I never gave notice (I did) - they say they don't take sides or get involved in personal matters.
Make a formal complaint saying what days you occupied the charge property and ask them to solve your complaint my correcting the liability amount.

If the council does not solve your problem, contact the Local Government Ombudsman. Their phone number is on their website.

But clearly, they are taking a side? How do I prove I wasn't there anymore?
You can make an affidavit, or show evidence of the accommodation you were living in.

The landlord was an unscrupulous git who didn't follow any of the legal requirements a landlord should follow and so clearly has been telling porkies to save him paying CT on an empty property!

Give that in your formal complaint letter.

Thanks for your help - great forum! I have read so many threads before creating this!

Mark
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

markj

#4 Re: CT query + fees, etc

Post by markj » 27 Jul 2017 13:03

Hi Pote, Schedule12,

Sorry - to make things clear. I am just in Ireland on business at the minute (consultant) - didn't realise making an account on here would publicly display this country :) - It is all England based CT I was referring to!

Thanks for the answers for the other prob - great help. So on that basis, the council should have zeroed my liability to them and then if Bristow and Sutor wanted their fees they should have come to me direct? (which of course I could have also ignored)

Mark

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#5 Re: CT query + fees, etc

Post by Pote Snitkin » 08 Aug 2017 13:50

Hi markj. You back from business yet? How did problem turn out?
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.