Help with overcharged council tax bill before they start legal proceedings!

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
Nessa

#1 Help with overcharged council tax bill before they start legal proceedings!

Post by Nessa » 13 Sep 2017 08:56

Oh guys, hoping someone can help because here we go again with the council!!! Its so frustrating, why do they make it so impossible just to pay what you owe!

I live abroad and rent out a property via a letting agent. The tenant was a nightmare and did not pay rent (and trashed the property before she left). The letting agent asked her to leave on 11 April (as this was when the rental period ended - the tenancy had gone into periodic) and surprisingly she did, but never told us what day she left. My letting agent attended the property on 12 April and it was clear she had vacated so he took possession.

The letting agent sent the council notification the property was now empty and that I was responsible for payment from the 12th.

As the tenancy is periodic it was my understanding that the tenant has an obligation to pay rent up to the end of the rental period and that notice was the same (although I cannot see anything that makes reference to this in my tenancy agreement).

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_ ... ic_tenancy

It became tenanted again on 9 August.

Yesterday the letting agent sent me a final demand from the council saying I had lost my right to pay in installments. This is not an issue, but the letting agent claims this is the first letter they have had and no initial demand has ever been received by them (I have been through this before with a different letting agent, so am inclined to believe the agent over the council, plus this agent is very good). Anyhow my deadline to pay before legal proceedings are commenced is tomorrow so time is quite tight.

The problem is they have charged me council tax from 10 April to 10 August. So overcharged me by 2 days. Likely because the tenant moved elsewhere on the 9 April.

What is my best course of action now. Pay why I believe I owe today then email them informing them of the above, with a copy of the tenancy agreement?

Many thanks for any help.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: Help with overcharged council tax bill before they start legal proceedings!

Post by Pote Snitkin » 13 Sep 2017 09:08

Pay now and dispute later. 2 days extra CT isn't going to amount to much.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

Nessa

#3 Re: Help with overcharged council tax bill before they start legal proceedings!

Post by Nessa » 13 Sep 2017 09:10

Thanks for your reply. How is it best to dispute it, an email to a member of the council tax staff?