Please Help Old council tax debt

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
princess88

#1 Please Help Old council tax debt

Post by princess88 » 24 Sep 2017 22:25

Hey I came across this forum wondered if you could give me any advice

the last two years I have had a really hard time I was really ill that stopped me from working I then became homeless which was so hard . I have suffered with some depression also . Iam back on my feet now well just about I have been way behind on my tax but I spoke to them and there happy for me to get to them what I can theres not much pressure I owe my bank loads as well. I was sorting out some old paper work the other day and I came across a letter from two years ago for a payment plan for a old council tax bill that I completely forgot to pay I haven't heard any thing from them or any debt collectors Usually Manchester council tax are quick to pass things on to a debt collector . I sat in Que on phone to them and it kept cutting off after like a hour of trying to get threw I just went threw to the auto payment line I dialed in my reference and it actually worked I managed to pay 50 towards my debt as thats all I could afford .

It went threw so Im guessing the debt is still with them ?? Im really in a panic incase this has gone to court with out me knowing and theres a warrant out for my arrest Im just worried I mean I have heard nothing from them . I have had different care of addresses over the last 2 years but I have had some periods where I no care of address.

Do you think the debt is still with them shall I just call up each week and pay what I can to the automated line or shall I try my best to get threw to them is it possible this could of gone to court and got serious with out me knowing ?

Thank you

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: Please Help Old council tax debt

Post by Pote Snitkin » 25 Sep 2017 08:33

Go to their online payment system, enter your account number (on the bill) and this will show you the amount outstanding.

It's very likely this has 'gone to court' - all this means is a liability order will have been granted which allows the council to enforce the debt. This is likely to be in the form of bailiffs. Don't panic - they have no power to force entry into your home and you don't have to deal with them. However, anything of value outside such as a car, bike, etc would be at risk.

You don't say whether you're working or not. If you're on a low income or benefits, the council can apply for an attachment - if you're on benefits this will be approx £3.50 a week. If you're working it will be a percentage of what you earn - for example between £75 - £135 per week it would be 3%.

Get back to us when you know what you owe and what stage it's at.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

princess88

#3 Re: Please Help Old council tax debt

Post by princess88 » 26 Sep 2017 09:34

Hey

I owe 300 but paid 50 so 250 I have the letter from 2 years ago in front of me I tried again yesterday to get threw to him no answer for a hour it then put me threw to automated line . tried this morning I was like 17 in que for 20 mins and I have a hospital appointment . My biggest fear it has been passed on but because its been 2 years surely a bailiff would of found me by now or passed it back to the council when I made a payment I had to type in my address details so they have it now I guess . Just to clarify I have had no letters from there no reminder letters just the original one with the payment plan on that I completely forgot about due to illness and homelessness . I am self employed I worked when I could I have been well enough to work a bit so can afford rent now . I have no processions of value a cheap phone and a old lap top . I will have to start again so I have nothing they can take any way . I was living with my exe boy friend at one point I would of been worried if i was still there as he has cars and loads of valuable stuff in his house but I have nothing so not bothered . Do they only charge fees when they have to visit your home ? they could of visited my old address for all I know I have no Idea.

I was just worried in case there was a warrant out for my arrest . I did send the council a email last night with my re fence number explaining why I haven't been in contact and apologies and how im paying what I can now I,m going to call up on Friday pay another 50 . I,m trying my best I would rather still with the council than bailiffs so I hope its still with them . Hopefully they will get back to me asap.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#4 Re: Please Help Old council tax debt

Post by Pote Snitkin » 26 Sep 2017 14:17

When you typed in the address details, you needed to put the address the account is linked to, not your current address.

It's difficult to know where it stands at the moment - it's likely to have gone to the bailiff's, but also likely to have been returned to the council given the timescale. However, the council can send it to a different bailiff. You'll only know once you get a response from the council.

There won't be a warrant for your arrest.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

princess88

#5 Re: Please Help Old council tax debt

Post by princess88 » 28 Sep 2017 19:46

I paid another 100 today . I havent heard back yet from the council no when I was paying I have to enter my address that matches the card Im paying with so Im guessing they have my address now but I have not actually spoke to them ? they have not got back to me yet .