Ross & Roberts. After some advice.

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
CBLB

#1 Ross & Roberts. After some advice.

Post by CBLB » 16 Nov 2017 14:23

Hi,
Recently Ross & Roberts( we only know now it was ross and roberts due to the police and council telling us) turned up at my house to enforce a council tax debt from a previous address. the debt was my wifes and in her name only.

In short I asked the guy for proof of who he was, where he was from etc. He showed me a piece of paper that said allowed him to be a bailiff. He showed me a number on a pice of paper then said i could go to any court with that number and they'd say he was ok to be at my home.

the debt was for just shy of £700 and i explained to him I could round up circa £500 in a couple of hours and get the rest to him at an agreed date. This was refused. he then said he had a right to take my car ( wasn't intrested in my wifes car).

I was confused but knew he was acting within the proper way so kept going into my house to google some answers. i kept asking my wife to lock the front door everytime i left it. After a while he said something along the lines of why am I locking the door, he doubts I have anything worth more than a tenner inside. This I admit riled me and I then had a slanging match at him telling him to leave.

i went into my home and he sat in his van. my brother turned up to mine (I'd called him for advice) and approached the guy in his van. With this the guy sped off. My brother followed in his car and the guy took threw our main town at speed, mounting kurbs, grass verges etc of which there is plenty of CCTV to back this up. My brother phoned the police to report and the attending officer explained he'd likely be pursued for dangerous driving. (we have a crime reference number)

My wife phoned the council and explained the situation to them and requested that nobody from ross and roberts attend our house again. This was agreed to on the basis of a payment plan our end. (£150 then £50 per month till debt cleared). We're full time careers with a disabled daughter but we want the debt gone so agreed to the payments.

fast forward to today and we've had a letter from the council. I'll leave out sensitive information.

Dears Mrs B......................

I have been in contact with Ross and Roberts in response to your complaint regarding an Enforcement Agent's conduct.

The statement I have received is that a male attempted to break the window of the enforcement agents van then followed the vehicle when the agent left the address and finally when the agent had stopped approached his vehicle again with some sort of weapon. The agent then drove off and called the police to report the incident.

As the agent was in his vehicle for the duration of the incident his body camera was not activated so I am unable to examine any footage.

As you will appreciate your comments and the agents are at odds with each other and as I have no access to either a verbal or recording or camera footage I can neither reject or uphold your complaint.

There is an instruction in place with Ross and Roberts for you to make payment at the rate of £50 monthly commencing on the £25 November 2017 if you could maintain this then will be no need for the agent to call you again.

However I have left an instruction with Ross and Roberts that if the plan in place is not adhered to they are to contact myself before any additional enforcement action.

yours sincerely

Mrs ............

I'd just like some advice as to where to go from here? I feel our complaint wasn't taken seriously enough. If what the bailiffs are saying is true, then surely the police would be pursuing us for the actions mentioned in the letter? Also the payment plan was agreed with the council not the bailiffs as we don't want them anywhere near us again.

Do I just leave it or hows best to pursue further?

Thankyou.

CBLB

#2 Re: Ross & Roberts. After some advice.

Post by CBLB » 16 Nov 2017 14:25

Sorry should say wasn't acting within the proper way not was acting within the proper way.

CBLB

#3 Re: Ross & Roberts. After some advice.

Post by CBLB » 16 Nov 2017 14:32

And to add further, we received no letter or call to say that ross and roberts were coming

Schedule 12

#4 Re: Ross & Roberts. After some advice.

Post by Schedule 12 » 16 Nov 2017 15:41

CBLB wrote:
16 Nov 2017 14:23
he said something along the lines of why am I locking the door, he doubts I have anything worth more than a tenner inside. This I admit riled me and I then had a slanging match at him telling him to leave.

i went into my home and he sat in his van. my brother turned up to mine (I'd called him for advice) and approached the guy in his van. With this the guy sped off. My brother followed in his car and the guy took threw our main town at speed, mounting kurbs, grass verges etc of which there is plenty of CCTV to back this up. My brother phoned the police to report and the attending officer explained he'd likely be pursued for dangerous driving. (we have a crime reference number)
I have not come across this before. As police will say, a person who runs has a guilty mind. I've come across clients being chased by bailiffs in a van and the video was taken from an in car camera. The bailiff only pulled off the pursuit because the client was approaching a toll crossing.

My wife phoned the council and explained the situation to them and requested that nobody from ross and roberts attend our house again. This was agreed to on the basis of a payment plan our end. (£150 then £50 per month till debt cleared). We're full time careers with a disabled daughter but we want the debt gone so agreed to the payments.

fast forward to today and we've had a letter from the council. I'll leave out sensitive information.

Dears Mrs B......................

I have been in contact with Ross and Roberts in response to your complaint regarding an Enforcement Agent's conduct.

The statement I have received is that a male attempted to break the window of the enforcement agents van then followed the vehicle when the agent left the address and finally when the agent had stopped approached his vehicle again with some sort of weapon. The agent then drove off and called the police to report the incident.

Is there any evidence the bailiff also called he police. Call 101 and give the crime reference number and ask for the telephone calls that were made. They bailiff might be lying. I've come across a bailiff lying after I got the telephone call notes from the CAD.

As the agent was in his vehicle for the duration of the incident his body camera was not activated so I am unable to examine any footage.

Did he knock the door while sat in hs vehicle?

As you will appreciate your comments and the agents are at odds with each other and as I have no access to either a verbal or recording or camera footage I can neither reject or uphold your complaint.

There is an instruction in place with Ross and Roberts for you to make payment at the rate of £50 monthly commencing on the £25 November 2017 if you could maintain this then will be no need for the agent to call you again.

However I have left an instruction with Ross and Roberts that if the plan in place is not adhered to they are to contact myself before any additional enforcement action.

yours sincerely

Mrs ............

I'd just like some advice as to where to go from here? I feel our complaint wasn't taken seriously enough. If what the bailiffs are saying is true, then surely the police would be pursuing us for the actions mentioned in the letter? Also the payment plan was agreed with the council not the bailiffs as we don't want them anywhere near us again.

Do I just leave it or hows best to pursue further?

Thankyou.
Pay the council direct until the amount outstanding (the sum on the liability order less any payments already made) is settled. That will take the bailiff out of the loop.

Pursuing your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman might not accomplish anything. You just want them out of your life. If you have suffered equitable damages then you can make a claim in a county court.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Schedule 12

#5 Re: Ross & Roberts. After some advice.

Post by Schedule 12 » 16 Nov 2017 15:47

CBLB wrote:
16 Nov 2017 14:32
And to add further, we received no letter or call to say that ross and roberts were coming

He must give a notice of enforcement and the law says the enforcement agent or his office must keep a record of the time it was given. Ask them to show evidence they have done so. If they give a copy of the notice with an "issue date" then it's a fail because the document lacks provenance. The issue date is not keeping a record of the time the notice was given. If its given by post then a certificate of posting gives the time and intended delivery address.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

CBLB

#6 Re: Ross & Roberts. After some advice.

Post by CBLB » 17 Nov 2017 14:57

Thankyou schedule12 for your replys. I've taken everything on board. In regards to the liability order we haven't received one as of yet, we have no record of this debt at all.

englander

#7 Re: Ross & Roberts. After some advice.

Post by englander » 17 Nov 2017 22:54

What was the bailiffs name ?