Bristow & Sutor Council Tax

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
Thumper35

#1 Bristow & Sutor Council Tax

Post by Thumper35 » 20 Nov 2017 16:16

Hi

My unpaid Council Tax bill has been passed to Bristow & Sutor for enforcement. I explained I could only afford £20 per week, they accepted this for 6 weeks (charging me a further £175 to do so) to give me time to "sort myself out", I never missed a payment. When I contacted them to renew the payment plan they informed me the minimum they could now accept was £45 per week, I explained I couldn't afford that but could continue the £20 per week but they were very unhelpful and told me I had to pay the £45 per week or they would come and take control of my goods with a view to removal! I explained I'm not refusing to pay, simply offering what I could afford but they're just not interested.

1. If I don't pay can they enter my home when I'm not here (using a locksmith or forcing entry)?

2. Am I required by Law to let them in if they attend my property?

3. What will happen if I don't pay them?

Thank you in advance.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: Bristow & Sutor Council Tax

Post by Pote Snitkin » 20 Nov 2017 18:03

First thing, can you clarify the fee of £175? The fee should be £75.

1 - no they cannot force entry if they've been inside previously

2 - no you are not required to let them in

3 - if you have anything of value outside, ie car, bike, etc, they will target that with a view to seize.

Contact the council and remind them of part 4.4 of the good practice guidance which says:
  • 4.4 Arrangements should seek to safeguard against bailiffs entering into punitive repayment arrangements directly with bill payers.