Ross and Roberts.

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
Stephen Meagor

#1 Ross and Roberts.

Post by Stephen Meagor » 23 Nov 2017 13:37

Recently I paid of a debt with Ross and Roberts and thought that was it, b they came back a couple of weeks later and said there was another debt for council tax, they set up a payment plan and during this time theysent a letter saying there was another two files added (without agreement or even knowledge they existed) they said this was so we didnt have bailiffs knocking on our door. We have been paying a lot of money £25 per fortnight is a lot as me and partner are both disabled and I am now under care of local mental health team (victim of physical and mental abuse in previous marriage has left me as a shut in who can't even open the door to people, and and am classed as vulnerable adult by adult social services.) At this time I was lead to believe that the three files were lumped together. This is why I was OK with the 25 pounds per fortnight.Previous file was only 25 pounds per month as we are still on benefits. Both me and my partner are both disabled and are unable to work. Now I have a several bailiffs letters saying they have an enforcement notice as we have not paid on the file. We have been paying the 25 pounds each for night via a barcode payment at local co-op payment system. I have tried repeatedly to contact a particular employee as she had been polite and helpfu but am always told she is not in the office. I then tell them I have a basic knowledge of the law and that I will be recording the call and they have hung up on me three times in a row. Could anyone please help me with any advice. Another question I would like to ask is do I have any right to withhold future payments until problem is fixed?

Thankyou for taking the time to read this lengthy post.

Steve Meagor

Schedule 12

#2 Re: Ross and Roberts.

Post by Schedule 12 » 23 Nov 2017 18:33

Stephen Meagor wrote:
23 Nov 2017 13:37
Recently I paid of a debt with Ross and Roberts and thought that was it, b they came back a couple of weeks later and said there was another debt for council tax, they set up a payment plan and during this time theysent a letter saying there was another two files added (without agreement or even knowledge they existed) they said this was so we didnt have bailiffs knocking on our door. We have been paying a lot of money £25 per fortnight is a lot as me and partner are both disabled
You are exempt from paying bailiffs fees and the bailiff cannot take control of goods in the presence of either of you.

This article explains the legal position. http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/Ba ... eholds.htm

and I am now under care of local mental health team (victim of physical and mental abuse in previous marriage has left me as a shut in who can't even open the door to people, and and am classed as vulnerable adult by adult social services.)
Ask your doctor to complete a MALG evidence form and send it to the council and ask them to withdraw the enforcement action against you. Give the legislation in the above-mentioned link.

At this time I was lead to believe that the three files were lumped together. This is why I was OK with the 25 pounds per fortnight.Previous file was only 25 pounds per month as we are still on benefits.
Make an online claim for council tax benefit. That will stop further council tax arrears accrual.

Both me and my partner are both disabled and are unable to work. Now I have a several bailiffs letters saying they have an enforcement notice as we have not paid on the file. We have been paying the 25 pounds each for night via a barcode payment at local co-op payment system.

If you have been paying a bailiff company, that money will go in their pocket. You must reclaim it because the law says the debt must be paid first before any fees are taken.

I have tried repeatedly to contact a particular employee as she had been polite and helpful but am always told she is not in the office. I then tell them I have a basic knowledge of the law and that I will be recording the call and they have hung up on me three times in a row. Could anyone please help me with any advice. Another question I would like to ask is do I have any right to withhold future payments until problem is fixed?
You cannot withhold payments, but you are allowed to decline any demand made by a bailiff. Just keep them out and tell them to seek advice from the council.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this lengthy post.

Steve Meagor

You need to work out how much as already been paid to the bailiff. Subtract that sum from the liability order, and that is all you legally owe. You are exempt from enforcement fees.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Stephen Meagor

#3 Re: Ross and Roberts.

Post by Stephen Meagor » 26 Nov 2017 00:58

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. Was quite worried with all the stress and really rather crappy customer service and insulting call centre staff.