Council tax

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
Beatthebaliff4444

#1 Council tax

Post by Beatthebaliff4444 » 05 Dec 2017 12:58

Hi I hope I’m in the right forum.

Iv basically had an enforcement officer at my door to which I didn’t answer, stating they have £644.81 to collect or either remove my goods.

Finically I’m not in a position to pay that nor do I believe I have to pay them considering the council are taking the debt each fortnight at a low rate due to being a single mum.
Do I by law have to pay The enforcement officer/agency if not how do I go about getting them off my back.
I’m also in the process of moving and with Christmas soon I just want to find a way to get these people of my back as it’s more added stress!!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated

:cry:

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: Council tax

Post by Pote Snitkin » 05 Dec 2017 13:05

If this is the same debt that's being collected by the council every fortnight then you need to contact the council and ask what is going on.

Beatthebaliff4444

#3 Re: Council tax

Post by Beatthebaliff4444 » 05 Dec 2017 13:44

Pote Snitkin wrote:
05 Dec 2017 13:05
If this is the same debt that's being collected by the council every fortnight then you need to contact the council and ask what is going on.

Sorry I didn’t mention how the council had passed the debt on (well they must off) before I started paying them weekly (not fortnightly) as iv just rang up to confirm that money is coming out in regards to council tax. Do I still owe the debt collectors that amount? I think from what I have seen have only received one letter to which I was meant to write to explaining how I’m paying it directly to the council with so much going on I forgot to do so and today received a removal notice letter. I’m so confused and don’t know how to go about getting them off my back considering I’m paying the debt to the council.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#4 Re: Council tax

Post by Pote Snitkin » 05 Dec 2017 14:34

Please clarify whether you are currently paying the council weekly, and how are you paying them? Was this a formal payment plan? Is it a direct payment or taken from any benefits?

We need to be clear on what is actually happening.

In the meantime, as long as you have nothing of value outside (eg car, bike), then the bailiff is pretty much powerless. There is no forced entry, and do not open the door to them. You have no obligation to deal with them.

Beatthebaliff4444

#5 Re: Council tax

Post by Beatthebaliff4444 » 05 Dec 2017 19:00

Pote Snitkin wrote:
05 Dec 2017 14:34
Please clarify whether you are currently paying the council weekly, and how are you paying them? Was this a formal payment plan? Is it a direct payment or taken from any benefits?

We need to be clear on what is actually happening.

In the meantime, as long as you have nothing of value outside (eg car, bike), then the bailiff is pretty much powerless. There is no forced entry, and do not open the door to them. You have no obligation to deal with them.

I’m paying the council via a benefit, they take it out weekly to which they automatically done, I don’t mind paying it I’m glad they are to be honest but not sure on how to deal with the bailiff. I can get proof required from the council and also the benefit to show the council tax is being paid as I received a letter a few months back stating how deductions would be made.

Also no car or anything as I don’t drive.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#6 Re: Council tax

Post by Pote Snitkin » 05 Dec 2017 19:16

You need to check all this out with the council and benefits office to ensure the deductions have been happening. Ring them in the morning. If the deductions are being made then the bailiff's cannot be used as well.

Beatthebaliff4444

#7 Re: Council tax

Post by Beatthebaliff4444 » 05 Dec 2017 19:45

Pote Snitkin wrote:
05 Dec 2017 19:16
You need to check all this out with the council and benefits office to ensure the deductions have been happening. Ring them in the morning. If the deductions are being made then the bailiff's cannot be used as well.
I didn’t call the council as I’m in the middle of a move with them, did think they would of brought it up. Did call the benefit office today to confirm and they stated I pay the deductions, once I move I’m going to call back to get the letter as proof of payment as I did receive one but where everything is in boxes can’t retrieve it. But confirmed over the phone today that it is being taken out weekly and since 30th October 17.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#8 Re: Council tax

Post by Pote Snitkin » 05 Dec 2017 19:53

The council are the only ones who can call the bailiffs off.

Beatthebaliff4444

#9 Re: Council tax

Post by Beatthebaliff4444 » 05 Dec 2017 21:11

Pote Snitkin wrote:
05 Dec 2017 19:53
The council are the only ones who can call the bailiffs off.
Ok thank you will call them tomorrow.

Schedule 12

#10 Re: Council tax

Post by Schedule 12 » 06 Dec 2017 17:29

Beatthebaliff4444 wrote:
05 Dec 2017 19:00

I’m paying the council via a benefit, they take it out weekly to which they automatically done, I
[/quote]

If you are unemployed then you are exempt from paying enforcement fees and from taking control of your goods by bailiffs if you re the only adult.

http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/Ba ... eholds.htm
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Beatthebaliff4444

#11 Re: Council tax

Post by Beatthebaliff4444 » 13 Dec 2017 08:25

Thank you for all the information