Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

outlawipcc

#1 Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by outlawipcc » 10 Oct 2015 08:16

See what dirty tricks these dregs of society want implementing:

Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Barrie Minney, senior enforcement manager at Brighton & Hover City Council and chairman of the Local Authority Civil Enforcement Forum, said:
My personal favourite; liability orders should be registered as a County Court Judgment (CCJ). It’s the biggest question we get – ‘will this affect my credit rating?

Schedule 12

#2 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Schedule 12 » 10 Oct 2015 08:53

It won't work. Council tax is not a line of credit. Lenders would disregard it.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Mark1960

#3 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Mark1960 » 10 Oct 2015 09:54

Barrie

I'm shocked to read your comments. You should know better than anyone that council tax is a huge source of revenue to authorities and that low income families traditionally struggle to meet payment deadlines. Agency workers on minimum wage are often hired and fired at the drop of a hat. Are you aware of the impact that two weeks without any money can have on a low income family? The council very often take several weeks to adjust payments for these people, expecting them to continue paying what they don't physically have. Many debtors are single mums, relying solely on benefits or working part time. The moving of the goalposts in 2012 has had massive effect on the poorest of society. You wish to punish these people further by imposing a CCJ as well? Who should pay for the CCJ hearing? Don't tell me-The debtor?

Missing council tax payments is the biggest debt issue in society. Millions of LO's are issued each year. That suggests to me that something is wrong with the system, not that something is wrong with the debtor. I myself received a LO a couple of years back. I changed bank account in February and when the April DD was attempted, it wasn't allowed as the old account had closed. At the time, my mother was dying and I had far more important things to worry about than rush to set up a new DD. Within a couple of weeks, a LO had been issued (at huge profit to my council). Should I have had a CCJ against me for being less than 2 months late with a payment of around £100?

I have a much better idea on how to deal with this issue: Scrap all pension payments for council employees, paid for by the very taxpayers that you want to issue CCJ's against. Fat cat executives on 3 figure salaries have higher pension contributions than millions of low paid workers earn. You should pay for your own pension contributions like everyone else if your councils are that cash strapped.

Your comment is very disappointing, I can't believe that you would think that-You need to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror mate.

EDIT: And I know you allow Sheila access to your forum. She has told me about some of the comments people make on there, such as "how can I raise the amount of council tax? What excuse can I give?

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#4 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Pote Snitkin » 10 Oct 2015 13:01

Let's all be clear that the scumbag suggesting this proposal, which he lovingly calls 'one of his favourites', is a good friend of our sainted one (herself in thrall to his 'Scoop' pages, who is delighted when one of her threads have been picked up by it).

And as for his other proposal - 'make landlords liable' - all that will happen is that rents will increase to cover the liability ensuring those who don't even need to pay any (or full) CT paying the full whack via the rent. He highlights students, but what about the single parent families, the disabled or unemployed. They will just see their rent increase by £100+ a month. No wonder they made him 'senior'.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

Schedule 12

#5 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Schedule 12 » 10 Oct 2015 15:44

I don't think the website picks up stories, its Barrie surfing the net and copying articles and pasting extracts on his site. When sheila starts a rant thread, she will try and get Barrie to pick up the story giving the CAG board as the source.

It could be that Barrie knows a story, but doesn't have a source, so Sheila creates one by starting a rant thread.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#6 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Pote Snitkin » 10 Oct 2015 16:19

I'll tell you something - Mikeymack on CAG posted a link to Scoop regarding the recent 9 minute court case. You'd have thought that a site that purports to be on the debtor's side would be glad of this case. Sadly one of the mods blitzed the post.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

Schedule 12

#7 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Schedule 12 » 10 Oct 2015 16:23

The only mod working the CAG bailiff board at the moment is citizenb, apparently a jobless lass of 'independent means' with no particular interest in bailiffs.

Which 9 minute court case was that?

Mark1960

#8 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Mark1960 » 10 Oct 2015 16:59

Why would they possibly want to delete that?

I think this obsession with not mentioning this site is extremely childish-Especially given that most of them are all over here like a rash. I think it stems from one of Sheilas ideas concerning not wanting to give this site a mention in case it bumps it up the Google ratings (another one of Sheilas fixations)

I've said it before, the mods on there behave like jobsworths-I'm not even entirely convinced that they have the capacity to think for themselves.

Schedule 12

#9 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Schedule 12 » 10 Oct 2015 20:59

I've never done any Google SEO on DWB, yet it's number one on the list for a great many bailiff searches. I achieved that by doing precisely nothing. This SEO industry is a farce. DWB has never been optimised for anything. It's a plain-paper website made using Laravel on a free copy of Oracle Virtual Machine.

Hopeless

#10 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Hopeless » 11 Oct 2015 06:52

I have stated this previously. I state this again.

As more people become aware that they are not oblige to deal with bailiffs, more will ignore bailiffs and sort things as an when they can. I have faith in people. Most people do want to pay their taxes and fair share. But councils try and raise funds by means of LOs and bailiff fees. That is simply wrong.

It's nice to see Mark1960 agree on pensions and such. It is not 3 figures, but 6 figures, as in a 6-figure salary. I simply can't understand how a a council CEO can earn more than our PM.

Mi55 J

#11 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Mi55 J » 07 Nov 2015 22:03

The courts are full up of people who can't pay and are on benefits. We all have to pay 20% from benefits.
This needs to stop.
It costs the councils to use the courts. That is the reason they are trying to deal with it via clerks and bailiffs.

theronstar

#12 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by theronstar » 12 Nov 2015 00:13

jasonDWB wrote:I've never done any Google SEO on DWB, yet it's number one on the list for a great many bailiff searches. I achieved that by doing precisely nothing. This SEO industry is a farce. DWB has never been optimised for anything. It's a plain-paper website made using Laravel on a free copy of Oracle Virtual Machine.
Google crawls the web for instances of a search term.

I am going to guess the word 'bailiff' occurs extensively on your website.

Also, people who have previously looked up information on the Internet about bailiffs potentially shared a link to your page on their blog or social media page.

If they are publicly viewable then Google is counting these as markers towards your page as a useful source on a 'bailiff' search.

People who carry out SEO REALLY want to be on the top. You just happen to be so it can't hurt ;)

My news story probably got shared across peoples' social media so it'll sometimes appear on the first page of a Google Search.

No bailiff websites have a hyper-link to it so I guess it was just the 'shares' that did it.

Btw, I don't know if you ever set up a private thread - or if there was a need to do so to facilitate a chat about the letter. If you want the conversation, you can just set up a regular thread. My concern was about the letter itself being attached to the discussion.

Meanwhile I'm going to message you all the letter I got from The Ombudsman.

Schedule 12

#13 Re: Government calls for views to improve council tax debt recovery

Post by Schedule 12 » 12 Nov 2015 11:20

We have a members board which is not Google indexed. Members only and you choose them. I'm sure Amy can fix it for you.