unpaid car tax

Quashing Orders. Stopping Enforcement. Applying for more time to pay. Disputing a liability.
poppy123

#1 unpaid car tax

Post by poppy123 » 13 Dec 2015 23:01

I have just had a letter from Rossendales saying I have a fine for unpaid car tax.i part exchanged the car in the summer and sent the forms off to the DVLA I phoned the DVLA when I had a letter asking why I had cancelled the direct debit for the car tax, I then heard nothing until I got this letter asking for £80 and telling me to tax the car that I don't have. They say they can take me to court.We have a new car and have just had a renewal notice for jan. Any ideas on what is going on, do I just phone them,or write and keep a copy.

Andy

#2 Re: unpaid car tax

Post by Andy » 13 Dec 2015 23:33

If you sold the car on and it is registered with someone else then it is none of your concern whether it is taxed or not. If it is still registered to you then you are still responsible for taxing the car.
2nd Year University Law Student.

poppy123

#3 Re: unpaid car tax

Post by poppy123 » 13 Dec 2015 23:43

thankyou I did send the form from the log book to the DVLA but I don't have proof of postage, I also phoned but the chap wasn't very helpful, and the new car is in my husbands name as I don't have one now, do I phone the DVLA or Rossendales,i realy thought this was sorted. many thanks for your help.

Amy
Admin

#4 Re: unpaid car tax

Post by Amy » 14 Dec 2015 11:11

You sent the forms off to the DVLA, that is all that was required of you.

The DVLA will tell you you should have obtained proof of posting, but the truth is you trusted the Royal Mail with a letter, which could have reached the DVLA and then got lost.

Rossendales are chancing their arm.