RENT ARREARS HELP

Quashing Orders. Stopping Enforcement. Applying for more time to pay. Disputing a liability.
Post Reply
Kares
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 May 2017 23:11

#1 RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Kares » 25 May 2017 23:17

Hi I wonder if anyone can help plz my daughter has just left a 2yr domestic violence relationship and over the past year she managed to get into rent arrears due to his total control, what are the chances of the council stopping the eviction and helping her now she has left and he is due in court next month. If they won't help what can she do as she is only 19 with no children. Thanks in advance kellie

User avatar
Pote Snitkin
The Watcher
Posts: 6647
Joined: 28 Apr 2014 09:43
Location: In your loft, waiting

#2 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Pote Snitkin » 25 May 2017 23:28

To be frank, at 19 and no kids I doubt they'll do much at all. Can't she stay with you?

Kares
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 May 2017 23:11

#3 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Kares » 26 May 2017 00:26

Yeah she can but just wanted to see if we could save her flat in any way first.

User avatar
Pote Snitkin
The Watcher
Posts: 6647
Joined: 28 Apr 2014 09:43
Location: In your loft, waiting

#4 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Pote Snitkin » 26 May 2017 07:48

Is it a council property and if so won't they come to a payment arrangement? Can she afford the rent, is she employed? It's not really our area but we can try to offer advice if we can but more details would be needed. No-one will judge anyone, it's all anonymous.

User avatar
Michelle
Moderator
Posts: 1994
Joined: 10 Nov 2014 14:42
Location: Nuvion

#5 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Michelle » 26 May 2017 09:05

Has she claimed housing benefit? She could also try for a discretionary housing payment to cover the arrears, explaining the circumstances. A good source of housing advice is Shelter: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advic ... e_helpline
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.

User avatar
Pote Snitkin
The Watcher
Posts: 6647
Joined: 28 Apr 2014 09:43
Location: In your loft, waiting

#6 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Pote Snitkin » 26 May 2017 09:15

Didn't they stop HB for single under 25's with no kids, or was that a local thing? I'll have a look.

User avatar
Pote Snitkin
The Watcher
Posts: 6647
Joined: 28 Apr 2014 09:43
Location: In your loft, waiting

#7 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Pote Snitkin » 26 May 2017 09:19

Pote Snitkin wrote:
26 May 2017 09:15
Didn't they stop HB for single under 25's with no kids, or was that a local thing? I'll have a look.
Looks like they had a rethink but there are some restrictions. It's a bit of a minefield - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/housing-cos ... -year-olds

Kares
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 May 2017 23:11

#8 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Kares » 26 May 2017 21:32

Michelle wrote:
26 May 2017 09:05
Has she claimed housing benefit? She could also try for a discretionary housing payment to cover the arrears, explaining the circumstances. A good source of housing advice is Shelter: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advic ... e_helpline
Thank you so much excellent help

User avatar
Michelle
Moderator
Posts: 1994
Joined: 10 Nov 2014 14:42
Location: Nuvion

#9 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Michelle » 28 May 2017 23:31

Pote Snitkin wrote:
26 May 2017 09:19
Pote Snitkin wrote:
26 May 2017 09:15
Didn't they stop HB for single under 25's with no kids, or was that a local thing? I'll have a look.
Looks like they had a rethink but there are some restrictions. It's a bit of a minefield - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/housing-cos ... -year-olds
Domestic violence is one of the cases where they can claim it.
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.

User avatar
Schedule 12
Posts: 13343
Joined: 30 Jul 2012 21:23
Location: London WC2
Contact:

#10 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Schedule 12 » 02 Jun 2017 21:16

That will encourage false allegations of domestic violence.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

User avatar
Michelle
Moderator
Posts: 1994
Joined: 10 Nov 2014 14:42
Location: Nuvion

#11 Re: RENT ARREARS HELP

Post by Michelle » 02 Jun 2017 21:38

jasonDWB wrote:
02 Jun 2017 21:16
That will encourage false allegations of domestic violence.
All those Tory measures carry with them a number of side effects.
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.

Post Reply