£999 bailiff bill - Hounslow PCNS

Stop or Suspend Enforcement. Appeal the PCN. Claim Damages for Unlawful Interference with Vehicles.

#1 £999 bailiff bill - Hounslow PCNS

Post by jbirschner » 27 Oct 2016 15:02

Hi All,

I had my car clamped on 17/10 and 2 enforcement agents demanding payment or they would pound my vehicle for sale.
Anyway, I moved address few times and didn't notice I had 2 pcns for my current vehicle in 2015 and I had to pay £999.

My question is, could you let me know if all charges are correct, if not I would like to claim some back? I called the Hounslow council and they confirmed both tickets and also that case went to Uxbridge Collect Services ltd.

1st PCN
04/11/2015 Original PCN Debt - £173
11/04/2016 Compliance - £75
27/04/2016 Enforcement - £235
Total - £482

2nd PCN
19/12/2015 Original PCN Debt - £97
07/06/2016 Compliance - £75
23/06/2016 Enforcement - £235
17/10/2016 Sale or disposal - £110
Total - £517

Overall for 2 pcns - £999 Paid same day of clamp with receipts. I got by email all warranties and breakdown of costs documents.

Now they emailed me after paying the £999 for another ticket from 03/15 on my older car and the warranty is dated from 04/11/2015.
3rd PCN
13/03/2015 - Original PCN Debt - £97
05/11/2015 Compliance - £75

I sent them an email today complaining about the £235 and the £110 as car was clamped and not removed to pound. Also I asked them to provicde the bailiff certificate and said that I would make a formal complain to Collect Services ltd and also CIVEA.

I would appreciate if somebody could confirm if all charges are valid.

Schedule 12

#2 Re: £999 bailiff bill - Hounslow PCNS

Post by Schedule 12 » 27 Oct 2016 15:45

Don't bother complaining to CIVEA or a bailiff company.

If the warrants were paid at the same time, then they cannot charge multiple £235 enforcement stage fees. Regulation 11 of the Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014 states:
  • More than one enforcement power available against the same debtor

11.—(1) This regulation applies for the purpose of calculating the fees and disbursements payable to the enforcement agent in accordance with regulations 4, 8, 9 and 10 in a case where—

• (a)the enforcement agent receives instructions to use the procedure under Schedule 12 in relation to the same debtor but in respect of more than one enforcement power; and

(b)those enforcement powers can reasonably be exercised at the same time.
    (2) In paragraph (1)(b), “can reasonably be exercised at the same time” means in particular—
    • (a)taking control of goods in relation to all such enforcement powers on the same occasion; and

(b)selling or disposing of all goods so taken into control on the same occasion,

except where it is impracticable to do so.
    (3) The enforcement agent may recover the compliance stage fee in respect of each enforcement power to which the instructions relate.

(4) Where paragraph (1) applies, the fee recoverable in respect of the enforcement stage (or stages) and the sale or disposal stage respectively is to be calculated as follows—
    • (a)the fixed fee for each stage may be recovered only once regardless of the number of enforcement powers to which the instructions relate;

(b)the amount in relation to which the percentage fee for each stage, if any, is to be calculated is the total amount of the sums to be recovered under all enforcement powers to which paragraph (1) applies.
    (5) Where this regulation applies, the enforcement agent must, as far as practicable, minimise the disbursements recoverable from the debtor under these Regulations by dealing with the goods taken into control pursuant to the instructions together and on as few occasions as possible[/i]

If this applies to you, then you can have a detailed assessment. You can have a solicitor do it for you and the bailiff company pays your costs.

See if you can appeal the PCN's you mentioned that you changed address. If the address on the warrant is not your current address where enforcement took place, then you can recover all your fees and everything paid. But you can only do that in the small claims track. The cause of action is under paragraph 66 of Schedule 12 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007, because the enforcement action breached provision 7(1) of that Schedule, which states;
  • 7(1)An enforcement agent may not take control of goods unless the debtor has been given notice.
Here is how to bring that action: http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/Co ... edure.html
I am a paralegal working for solicitors bringing proceedings against bailiffs for non-compliant enforcement action.

Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Phone consultation with me

Enforcement compliance Checklist