Bailiffs £400 bus lane fine

Stop or Suspend Enforcement. Appeal the PCN. Claim Damages for Unlawful Interference with Vehicles.
alexm1992

#1 Bailiffs £400 bus lane fine

Post by alexm1992 » 30 May 2017 23:28

Hi all, I moved house in October 2015 and must have forgotten to update the registered keeper to the new address! :roll:

My old house mate called today from the old address and said that the balifts were chasing me for around £400!! He has only just told me that in Sep 2016 I got caught by reading borough council in a bus lane. I sold the car a few weeks later. Obviously they have been writing to my old address so I have missed all the demands. A simple £90 fine has turned into a beast. I'm so angry at myself for forgetting to change the flipping address!

I'm aware that not updating this info can result in an additional £1000 fine. I don't know how to play this? Should I call reading borough council and say I have only just received the letters or should I try and sweet talk the balift? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Alex

Schedule 12

#2 Re: Bailiffs £400 bus lane fine

Post by Schedule 12 » 02 Jun 2017 22:22

Wrong address, the bailiff cannot enforce the debt.

Even if he finds you, they still cannot enforce - legally.

Park the matter until you receive something at your new address, then appeal the contravention on the grounds your changed address and the bailiff failed to comply with CPR 75.7 which requires Highways England to re-apply for a new warrant when the bailiff discovered your current address. When you do appeal, always include evidence of the change of address and the date.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Jacobson

#3 Re: Bailiffs £400 bus lane fine

Post by Jacobson » 29 Jun 2017 10:08

jasonDWB wrote:
02 Jun 2017 22:22
Wrong address, the bailiff cannot enforce the debt.

Even if he finds you, they still cannot enforce - legally.
That's good to know for the future, thanks Jason.