Fees with Equita

Stop or Suspend Enforcement. Appeal the PCN. Claim Damages for Unlawful Interference with Vehicles.
Serrnao

#1 Fees with Equita

Post by Serrnao » 06 Dec 2017 14:10

Hi,
would like some help with some fees that are outstanding to Equita. I've had numerous parking tickets and a couple of council Tax bills that got handed to Equita. Over the last year or so I have managed to pay them all off directly to Southampton City Council. Now I have Equita chasing for the fees, and I've got feeling they've over charged me for some of those fees. I recently moved (in the last 2 months) and when I changed my address with the council (I'm assuming its the council who passed on my new address) Equita within a week or so had sent letters to the new property. I want to find out a break down of their costs but not sure how to go about it. Is there a standard letter I can email to Equita to ask for this info... and also what is the best way to go about setting up an 'affordable' payment plan with them when the time comes. So far the letters they've sent to the new address say "I write further to your recent communication"... I didn't contact them. And one just has 'notice of Action' at the top.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Schedule 12

#2 Re: Fees with Equita

Post by Schedule 12 » 06 Dec 2017 16:26

Serrnao wrote:
06 Dec 2017 14:10
. Now I have Equita chasing for the fees, and I've got feeling they've over charged me for some of those fees.
Once the amount outstanding has been paid, the enforcement power has ended. Bailiffs cannot take control of goods to recover unpaid fees.

This article explains the legal position: http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/Po ... emand.html

I recently moved (in the last 2 months) and when I changed my address with the council (I'm assuming its the council who passed on my new address)

More likely, Equita traced you and tried again at your new address.

Equita within a week or so had sent letters to the new property. I want to find out a break down of their costs but not sure how to go about it.
Equita doesn't have any costs.

Is there a standard letter I can email to Equita to ask for this info...

There is no letter for this because the law says the bailiff must explain his fees on the Notice of Enforcement, and since you didn't get one (you moved) the bailiff is not eligible for fees or costs. Regulation 3 of the Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014 states:

• 3. These Regulations apply when an enforcement agent uses the Schedule 12 procedure.

and also what is the best way to go about setting up an 'affordable' payment plan with them when the time comes.
The bailiff will mess you about. They will not enter into any arrangement.

So far the letters they've sent to the new address say "I write further to your recent communication"... I didn't contact them. And one just has 'notice of Action' at the top.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.
Let them bring the action.

Another bailiff tried suing a debtor through the court for his fees and it failed because the money was not owed to the bailiff (without locus standi).
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Serrnao

#3 Re: Fees with Equita

Post by Serrnao » 06 Dec 2017 16:54

Thank you for your response.... I see in the link there, that it says to let the creditor know I have paid in full, am I best to write/email/call them? And am I right in assuming that because I have moved they now have to start their 'proceedings' but without the fees (because they've already applied them to the amounts in the letters they have sent) to be able to start the 'we're visiting your property' malarkey? I'm more worried about them turning up and clamping my car.

Serrnao

#4 Re: Fees with Equita

Post by Serrnao » 06 Dec 2017 16:56

Sorry one more point... I got a notice of enforcement for one or two of the fines a while ago to my old address... will that still stand?

Schedule 12

#5 Re: Fees with Equita

Post by Schedule 12 » 06 Dec 2017 17:40

Serrnao wrote:
06 Dec 2017 16:54
Thank you for your response.... I see in the link there, that it says to let the creditor know I have paid in full, am I best to write/email/call them?

Yes and keep a record of the communication. DO NOT do it by telephone.

And am I right in assuming that because I have moved they now have to start their 'proceedings' but without the fees (because they've already applied them to the amounts in the letters they have sent) to be able to start the 'we're visiting your property' malarkey? I'm more worried about them turning up and clamping my car.
They will probably try that. Otherwise, they will eventually move on. This article explains what you can do: http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/Ex ... liffs.html
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk