Historic Debt passed to bailiffs

Quash the Conviction. Revoke the Fees. Claim Damages for Improper Enforcement Action
VanMan

#1 Historic Debt passed to bailiffs

Post by VanMan » 29 Apr 2017 15:49

Hi, I have recently been informed of an outstanding fine from many years ago. A letter was sent to me by the Historic Debt Team. I work away spending up to 200 nights a year in hotels so it was a while before I got around to opening the letter. By this time a letter had just arrived from a bailiff company, wont name until this is all over. The bailiff notice of enforcement was only one day old so no one had attended the premises, but 75 had been added. Had no knowledge of offence so rang historic debt team. Explained that I had only just opened my letters and had no previous knowledge of any offence. She said driving offence fine issued by a named court. I asked what my options were and she said all I could do was to phone the bailiff company and pay them or they would enforce the payment. I explained about the delay in opening the letter and also that the address was spelt wrong and that I would pay the fine to the court. She said no you have to pay the bailiffs. Argued with her going around in circles for ages, she is programmed to be extremely nasty and will stonewall anything you say insisting that you have to pay the bailiffs and once it is passed to them it stays there and can not possibly be returned to the court. At this point it has been a maximum of two days since the notice of enforcement was issued. Had enough of the conversation so said to the lady that I would like to make a complaint about the address being wrong and the complete refusal to tell me of any other options bar paying the bailiff, at which point she reluctantly spits out that I could make a statutory declaration to a magistrate that I didnt know about the offence. I at this point end the conversation and ring my local magistrates court and get a date to make the stat dec. I explained to the friendly lady at the local magistrates court that the bailiffs were involved and she said they would be told to hold off until after the hearing. Four days before the date two bailiffs arrive early hours, am in bed with partner. She answers door while I put some clothes on. When I get to the door I tell them they should not be there as a a hearing has been booked in four days time and the court said they would be told to hold off until after the hearing. Bailiff insists this is wrong and must be for something else. I leave other half blocking door and get letter. Its too early to ring the court so they reluctantly left promising to return after phoning the court as soon as it opens if I was lying. They dont return. Attended court to make stat dec unrepresented and had to wait ages as they couldnt get any paperwork regarding the offence. Eventually went in and swore on oath to tell the truth. Explained that had no knowledge and had never received any correspondence regarding the offence. Magistrate was really surprised at the length of time since the offence, probably dosent know about the new department. Was questioned and I admitted that two years after the offence I knew something had happened as the points and fine appeared on my driving licence when I had to get a new one. Had nothing to hide as I didnt know what offence or where or when and wouldnt lie under oath anyway. He wasnt sure what to do and informed me that I would have to be retried for the offence if he upheld the stat dec meaning I would get more points on my licence even though the original ones had expired. I said I no longer wish to continue as I dont want new points. I had a civilised conversation with the magistrate about what to do and he said take the hit and pay the fine. I asked if I could pay it to the court that issued it, he said yes. Next day phoned issuing court and asked to pay fine. They no longer have it on their system as its too old so no. Phoned local magistrates court and asked to pay there, not on their system so they said no, but gave me a number who would know about it. Phoned number and ended up in a conversation with the same person from historic debt, well sounded the same had the same bad attitude and same answers. Offered to pay the fine in full and was denied again and told to phone bailiffs. Ended up in arguement, hung up after a while.At this point thought I might as well pay the fine plus 75 to bailiffs so rang them and they refused to accept my payment of fine plus 75 as they had added another 235 to it. Also said it was not their problem any more and I had to actually ring the bailiff, argued that it was her office that was instructing the bailiff lol. She said they only do what the court tells them contradicting the courts claim that it is in their hands now and the court cant help. Went online to find out more before bailiffs return. Thanks to this forum I now know all my rights regarding to what I can do next and im going to make it as difficult for anyone to collect this debt as I can. It certainly wont be worth 310 anyway lol. Bailiffs havent come back yet, I will post updates as to what I do as and when it happens. Dont own a vehicle and dont have goods to value of debt, not going to let anyone in, they will have to come with locksmith. If worst comes to worse will use online method, want my 310 worth first incase end up paying it. Jason you are a good man trying to help people whatever some people say and I would like to thank you for spending time helping others and also all the other members sharing their experiences. The info on here is invaluable.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: Historic Debt passed to bailiffs

Post by Pote Snitkin » 29 Apr 2017 17:10

I'm going to make that wall of words easier to read.
VanMan wrote:
29 Apr 2017 15:49
Hi, I have recently been informed of an outstanding fine from many years ago. A letter was sent to me by the Historic Debt Team. I work away spending up to 200 nights a year in hotels so it was a while before I got around to opening the letter. By this time a letter had just arrived from a bailiff company, wont name until this is all over.

The bailiff notice of enforcement was only one day old so no one had attended the premises, but 75 had been added. Had no knowledge of offence so rang historic debt team. Explained that I had only just opened my letters and had no previous knowledge of any offence. She said driving offence fine issued by a named court. I asked what my options were and she said all I could do was to phone the bailiff company and pay them or they would enforce the payment. I explained about the delay in opening the letter and also that the address was spelt wrong and that I would pay the fine to the court. She said no you have to pay the bailiffs.

Argued with her going around in circles for ages, she is programmed to be extremely nasty and will stonewall anything you say insisting that you have to pay the bailiffs and once it is passed to them it stays there and can not possibly be returned to the court. At this point it has been a maximum of two days since the notice of enforcement was issued. Had enough of the conversation so said to the lady that I would like to make a complaint about the address being wrong and the complete refusal to tell me of any other options bar paying the bailiff, at which point she reluctantly spits out that I could make a statutory declaration to a magistrate that I didnt know about the offence.

I at this point end the conversation and ring my local magistrates court and get a date to make the stat dec. I explained to the friendly lady at the local magistrates court that the bailiffs were involved and she said they would be told to hold off until after the hearing. Four days before the date two bailiffs arrive early hours, am in bed with partner. She answers door while I put some clothes on.

When I get to the door I tell them they should not be there as a a hearing has been booked in four days time and the court said they would be told to hold off until after the hearing. Bailiff insists this is wrong and must be for something else. I leave other half blocking door and get letter. Its too early to ring the court so they reluctantly left promising to return after phoning the court as soon as it opens if I was lying. They dont return.

Attended court to make stat dec unrepresented and had to wait ages as they couldnt get any paperwork regarding the offence. Eventually went in and swore on oath to tell the truth. Explained that had no knowledge and had never received any correspondence regarding the offence. Magistrate was really surprised at the length of time since the offence, probably dosent know about the new department. Was questioned and I admitted that two years after the offence I knew something had happened as the points and fine appeared on my driving licence when I had to get a new one. Had nothing to hide as I didnt know what offence or where or when and wouldnt lie under oath anyway.

He wasnt sure what to do and informed me that I would have to be retried for the offence if he upheld the stat dec meaning I would get more points on my licence even though the original ones had expired. I said I no longer wish to continue as I dont want new points. I had a civilised conversation with the magistrate about what to do and he said take the hit and pay the fine. I asked if I could pay it to the court that issued it, he said yes.

Next day phoned issuing court and asked to pay fine. They no longer have it on their system as its too old so no. Phoned local magistrates court and asked to pay there, not on their system so they said no, but gave me a number who would know about it. Phoned number and ended up in a conversation with the same person from historic debt, well sounded the same had the same bad attitude and same answers. Offered to pay the fine in full and was denied again and told to phone bailiffs. Ended up in arguement, hung up after a while.

At this point thought I might as well pay the fine plus 75 to bailiffs so rang them and they refused to accept my payment of fine plus 75 as they had added another 235 to it. Also said it was not their problem any more and I had to actually ring the bailiff, argued that it was her office that was instructing the bailiff lol. She said they only do what the court tells them contradicting the courts claim that it is in their hands now and the court cant help. Went online to find out more before bailiffs return.

Thanks to this forum I now know all my rights regarding to what I can do next and im going to make it as difficult for anyone to collect this debt as I can. It certainly wont be worth 310 anyway lol. Bailiffs havent come back yet, I will post updates as to what I do as and when it happens. Dont own a vehicle and dont have goods to value of debt, not going to let anyone in, they will have to come with locksmith. If worst comes to worse will use online method, want my 310 worth first incase end up paying it.

Jason you are a good man trying to help people whatever some people say and I would like to thank you for spending time helping others and also all the other members sharing their experiences. The info on here is invaluable.
On 25/07/17, Dodgeball said "Telling the truth isn’t slander, in fact, it wouldn’t be slander anyway, as that is verbal not written. Liable is the word you are looking for." Discuss.

VanMan

#3 Re: Historic Debt passed to bailiffs

Post by VanMan » 29 Apr 2017 17:17

LMAO Thanks

VanMan

#4 Re: Historic Debt passed to bailiffs

Post by VanMan » 29 Apr 2017 17:23

LMAO Thanks

Schedule 12

#5 Re: Historic Debt passed to bailiffs

Post by Schedule 12 » 29 Apr 2017 21:38

Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

VanMan

#6 Re: Historic Debt passed to bailiffs

Post by VanMan » 29 Apr 2017 22:56

Please give me a way to contact you in private as a customer. Can you get my email address without me having to write it here.

Schedule 12

#7 Re: Historic Debt passed to bailiffs

Post by Schedule 12 » 02 May 2017 14:03

Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

VanMan

#8 Re: Historic Debt passed to bailiffs

Post by VanMan » 02 May 2017 14:16

Will get in touch tomorrow when home :)