A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

angeleyes6

#1 A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 20 Jan 2016 13:13

I received a letter from fidelite -maybe they should spell it fiddle-ite! threatening home visit passed from Lowell it is for just over a thousand pounds. I stopped paying an Argos debt as without any notification whilst on an agreed payment plan they sold me onto DCA but chronic ill health and old age means i don't always deal with things immediately, so any good ideas as to what is best way to deal with this?

Thanks.

Schedule 12

#2 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by Schedule 12 » 20 Jan 2016 13:47

They are not bailiffs. They cannot enter your property.

They are debt collectors, but as you have a contract with Argos, I can't comment on whether you have an obligation to pay another company. I think you need a debt expert.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

angeleyes6

#3 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 20 Jan 2016 13:57

Thanks Jason but don't think any contract with Argos as they sold it but i think unfair when i was on an agreed payment plan so i pulled plus on it.

Schedule 12

#4 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by Schedule 12 » 20 Jan 2016 14:15

I don't know the legal mechanics when a company has 'bought' a debt, the debtor now has a legal obligation to the buyer and not with the lender.

I can research it, but its not something that happens with debts enforced by bailiffs. They deal with the enforcement of artificial debts, they are debts manufactured by statute (typically a tax or a fine), rather than by two people trading a sum of money.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

Michelle

#5 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by Michelle » 20 Jan 2016 15:01

angeleyes6 wrote:I received a letter from fidelite -maybe they should spell it fiddle-ite! threatening home visit passed from Lowell it is for just over a thousand pounds. I stopped paying an Argos debt as without any notification whilst on an agreed payment plan they sold me onto DCA but chronic ill health and old age means i don't always deal with things immediately, so any good ideas as to what is best way to deal with this?

Thanks.
First of all, the majority of home visit letters are just empty threats because it costs much less to send a letter than to send an actual field agent to your home. There are a few cases when DCAs have sent someone round but they are the minority, probably less than 10% of threats result in an actual visit. In fact, if they send a letter threatening a visit, it may well be they are not planning on sending anyone round and are just hoping to scare you into paying.

In the event of a home visit by a debt collector, they have no rights whatsoever, no more than any door-to-door salesperson, charity collector or religious preacher, so you can take exactly the same approach and say you do not with to speak to them and slam the door. Debt collectors are NOT bailiffs and do not have any rights. Unlike bailiffs, they can't take control of goods even if you let them in and invite them to tea, nor can they touch your car or bike parked outside. Bailiffs can only be sent once a creditor has obtained judgment against you, and even then, it still requires a further application to the court so no need to worry about that at this point.

With regards to paying another company, debts can be sold even when you are making your agreed payments, however, you should have received a notice of assignment when it was sold to Lowell. They can use the services of a DCA like Fidelite to collect on their behalf. Have you been making payments to Lowell at all?
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.

angeleyes6

#6 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 21 Jan 2016 09:30

No Michelle i did not answer letters from Lowell.

angeleyes6

#7 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 21 Jan 2016 09:32

And i never received any notification from original Argos saying they were selling me on. It feels so corrupt them selling me on when i was paying an agreed sum of money to Argos.

angeleyes6

#8 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 26 Jan 2016 10:04

Just received first visit from fidelite much to my shock but when i opened door with chain on it was a small asian guy and all i said was i do not wish to speak with you to which he replied no i'm not a cold caller-yes he was as he was a stranger to me,although polite i shut my door and he uttered envelope in door. I wasn't looking my best being a pensioner and so early at just after 9.30am and with high gale force wind was a bit of a shock to me,glad if i looked elderly and ill anyhow! He can't possibly have come all the way from Glasgow i'm sure in such bad weather in small car. At least he didn't do trick that Rossendales do go knock on neighbours doors, but then i half opened door so now he has description of me,well he thinks he does!

angeleyes6

#9 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 26 Jan 2016 14:13

I decided to look on Financial Conduct Authority website and urge anyone who may have debt issue with debt companies to view on this site as i see fidelite has no right to canvas off trade premises and further i find that Argos Home Retail Group Card Services Ltd no longer has an AR appointed representative that is no longer an agent of an authorised firm- since 2005. And do not start to do business with an AR that is listed as 'former'. I now have info to halt this.

Amy
Admin

#10 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by Amy » 26 Jan 2016 19:01

Are you going to reinstate the payments and pay Argos direct?

angeleyes6

#11 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 26 Jan 2016 21:27

We shall see though it is impossible as i would say unlawful, they have not got any business with any of this type of thing now as you may have read with my findings. And fidelite also breaking rules and sending computer generated letter with no signed person's name nor no account of original said creditor. I've constructed letter to two MD's plus copies of my findings for now.

Amy
Admin

#12 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by Amy » 26 Jan 2016 22:08

Ok, but none of this means there is no debt to repay.

angeleyes6

#13 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 27 Jan 2016 09:25

I never said it was

angeleyes6

#14 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 27 Jan 2016 09:29

And further there is such a thing as treating customers fairly and i do not think i was in fact it seems crooked to sell someone on and not tell that person, that is incorrect when on payment plan and that home retail no longer exists to pay them-these jerks are all going against the rules set out if you think this is lawful and correct you are much mistaken Amy.Letters will be sent in due course when weather permits.

angeleyes6

#15 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 27 Jan 2016 10:28

Simply put there are correct procedures that any debt collector must adhere to as per financial conduct. Demanding money with menaces without proof is not decent good behaviour and we all know none of them behave well! Happy New Year to all. Only gold is real money in any case!

angeleyes6

#16 Re: A first letter threatening home visit from fidelite

Post by angeleyes6 » 27 Jan 2016 11:32

Plus there needs to be an original signed consumer credit agreement produced within 12 days and if an ordinary debt is over 6yrs with no contact from consumer then indeed is unenforceable - does not apply to council tax though.