PRA GROUP

ianhere

#1 PRA GROUP

Post by ianhere » 10 Nov 2016 00:55

IVE JUST RECEIVED A LETTER FROM THESE FOR SUM OF £1550 , THAT THEY HAVE TAKEN OVER FROM ANOTHER COMPANY , IT SEAMS THEY TOOK OVER THIS LOAN ( THAT I CANT REMEMBER) 0N THE 01/11/2015 , IVE NOT HAD OR HEARD OFF THESE BEFORE THIS WEEK, THE STATEMENT SHOWS NOTHING HAS EVER BEEN PAID OFF IT, BUT THE THING I FIND CONFUSING IS THE DATE OF THE AGREEMENT WITH THE COMPANY THEY TOOK IT FROM.
THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL AGREEMENT IS DECEMBER 1999 IVE NOT HAD ANY CALLS OR LETTERS FROM EITHER COMPANY IN THE 17 YEARS , ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL , NOT SURE IF I SHOULD JUST IGNORE IT OR WHAT, I DONT WANT TO CALL THEM AS THEY WILL REQUEST OR FIND MY PHONE NUMBER

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: PRA GROUP

Post by Pote Snitkin » 10 Nov 2016 07:19

PRA are debt buyers and collectors, not bailiffs, so they have no powers. Send them the following:
  • I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any other company or organisation that you claim to be representing.

Dear Sir/Madam

Account No: xxxxxxxx

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5:

“An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

The Financial Conduct Authority states the following rules:

"...a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period." 7.15.4

"A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred." 7.15.8

The last payment or acknowledgement of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written acknowledgement from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed. If you continue to pursue this debt after this email has been received, the fee schedule stated below will be charged by myself to you.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxx
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

ianhere

#3 Re: PRA GROUP

Post by ianhere » 14 Nov 2016 18:50

thanks, i thought it was six years but just thought i would ask to make sure

Michelle

#4 Re: PRA GROUP

Post by Michelle » 14 Nov 2016 21:02

ianhere wrote:thanks, i thought it was six years but just thought i would ask to make sure
Yes, statute barred is six years for most debts. Do bear in mind a claim can still be issued for SBd debts, although SBd is an absolute defence the claim still has to be defended to avoid a default judgment. If PRA only bought the debt last year, they probably don't even know it themselves, debts are sold in bulk with very little info.
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.