Empty rental properties

delta157

#1 Empty rental properties

Post by delta157 » 11 Dec 2016 10:21

Have a look at this landlords argument about being liable for CT in a follow on/new and different tenacy.
[url https://www.property118.com/mr-whip-off ... ax/93021// url]

Does his argument have merit is he right or wrong? Would he not be better off starting tenancies of on a Monday at 1200? This is when most Councils start theirs and the existing tenant must surrender their keys before this time....

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: Empty rental properties

Post by Pote Snitkin » 11 Dec 2016 11:42

Certainly the tenant is responsible for the CT for the period of the tenancy. If they leave early without consent to end the tenancy, they'd remain liable.I assume that is what the council are saying he's liable for?
It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority. - Benjamin Franklin

On 22/2/17, Peterbard said "taking control of goods and selling them does not actually mean taking control of goods and selling them." Discuss.

jasonDWB

#3 Re: Empty rental properties

Post by jasonDWB » 11 Dec 2016 11:51

I speak from experience. If the tenant vacates without notice to the landlord then landlord is liable for empty rates. If the tenant fails to notify the council then the tenant is liable for occupancy rates unless they pay occupancy rates at another property or emigrated. I don't know the regulation providing those rules.
Author, Dealing with Bailiffs. Beat the Bailiffs
Instant phone consultation with me: Click here

delta157

#4 Re: Empty rental properties

Post by delta157 » 12 Dec 2016 23:46

One of the reasons for posting this topic is because if a tenant that has been evicted by a HCEO/other their last thought is regarding CT.

Secondly if the Court has given a possession order on xx/xx/xxxx date then the tenancy has legally been ended, I think therefor that the CT issue could be slightly more complicated, in as much as the former tenant should not be in the property after that date, but, if they remain after it, will they still be responsible or will the landlord/agents/managing company?

I am just trying to get my head around these complications on my own but having a little difficulty ATM...