Rossendales - Is this enforceable?

big4ker

#1 Rossendales - Is this enforceable?

Post by big4ker » 14 Aug 2017 23:38

This is my situation which I think is really unfair but I am interested in the views of this forum?

I had moved house 3 times in 6 months and it turned out that I had owed some council tax at the 2nd property. Long story short but when Rossendales contacted me initially I needed to find out if the fees were correct as I didn't live in that area and once I had been in touch with the council and worked out that I did indeed owe this money I went onto Rossendales website to pay the money owed. The site gave me a reference number and once I gained entry to the online portal it told me I could not pay online as this had just been passed onto one of their collection agents - then gave me the name and number of the agent to contact. I rang the agent explaining that I have tried to pay online and he responded, "yes it has just come through to me". So I asked if he could take payment over the telephone and he said no that I would have to ring the office tomorrow (which had closed for the day) so I responded no problem I will ring them at lunchtime tomorrow and get it sorted.

You have guessed it - The agent actually turned up at my house at around 09:30 with a letter. "What are you doing here?" I asked "I told you I was paying at lunchtime" he disappeared rather quickly and now I know why having read and studied these threads. I paid at lunchtime, as I said that I would, and I am now being chased for £235 and being harrassed for this money which I will not pay as, having read many of the guidelines and code of conducts, I believe Rossendales and their staff are using deceptive methods and misleading debtors in an attempt to extort money. Any thoughts would be helpful?

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: Rossendales - Is this enforceable?

Post by Pote Snitkin » 15 Aug 2017 10:22

They can't enforce if you're in France.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

big4ker

#3 Re: Rossendales - Is this enforceable?

Post by big4ker » 15 Aug 2017 11:34

I am currently on holiday but live in the UK

Schedule 12

#4 Re: Rossendales - Is this enforceable?

Post by Schedule 12 » 15 Aug 2017 17:06

Provided the enforcement and the debt is all compliant with the law, you owe the £235.

Good news is the bailiff has no enforcement power to recover it if you have already paid the debt.

Run the Council tax enforcement compliance check. See if there is an irregularity with the debt or the enforcement. If you find one, you might be off the hook for the £235.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

big4ker

#5 Re: Rossendales - Is this enforceable?

Post by big4ker » 15 Aug 2017 23:35

Thanks - Schedule 12