Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Apply to Stay the Writ. Set Aside the Judgment. Apply for more time to pay. Stop the Bailiff. Cancel the Fees.
buttergirl

#1 Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 09 Sep 2017 14:22

Hi.
Sorry for the long drawn out story, but I feel I need to give a little more information to give a clearer picture. I have received a "Notice of Enforcement" (NOF) from High Court Solutions (HCS). Problem is it is addressed to the wrong address. The address that is used was an address I used for mail redirection (Royal Mail). I have never lived at this address! In addition the sum they are asking for is not what is owed. I have read many of the posts on phpBB and the general census I get is that I have to apply for the "Judgement to be set aside" Thing is, I don't think time is on my side for that. The NOF says I have until 03/09/17 to get in touch or else they will attend the property. I have never received any "Queens bench" (judgement date 18/08/17) documentation in order for me to defend. Only this letter, we are talking about, which is in relation to a debt in October 2016, which was in relation to an eviction of a private rental property, sum owing for rental arrears - long story. I say the sum is wrong as they haven't taken into account my deposit that I paid at the outset of the tenancy. I am a professional individual and my financial circumstances changed dramatically, which is what led to the eviction. Problem is, the property (which NOF has been issued to) belongs to a member of my family which helped me out by way of allowing me to re-direct my mail whilst I was looking for somewhere to live. I did have a property lined up but it fell through 3 days before I was meant to be moving, so I altered my mail re-direction temporarily (to the family member) until I had secured a new home, and then changed the mail re-direction 3 months later to my new address. I do not have any residual income, I previously was self employed (which is why this all happened) but now have a full time job, but all my income goes on living expenses. I have been in touch with the Citizens Advice Bureau regarding other debts (HMRC £20k+) and they have advised, over much deliberation, that I file for personal bankruptcy, and pay the fees (£650+) in instalments, which obviously will take time to pay off in order to make the application. So my questions are;

1) - Do I contact the HCS and tell them of my new address and invite them round, as I don't have anything for them to take - albeit a car not worth my shirt with no MOT and the usual suspects i.e bed, tv, sofa etc?

2) - Do I contact the HCS and advise them that I intend on going personally bankrupt?

My overall worry is that they attend my family members home as I do not want to advise them on the situation for obvious reasons.

Please help!

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Schedule 12

#2 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Schedule 12 » 09 Sep 2017 16:30

buttergirl wrote:
09 Sep 2017 14:22
Hi.
Sorry for the long drawn out story, but I feel I need to give a little more information to give a clearer picture. I have received a "Notice of Enforcement" (NOF) from High Court Solutions (HCS). Problem is it is addressed to the wrong address. The address that is used was an address I used for mail redirection (Royal Mail). I have never lived at this address!

The bad news. The law says the notice must be given to the debtor before the enforcement agent may take control of goods. In this case, you were given it, and the date started from the date it was given. Not necessarily seven clear days from the date of issue or its posting date.

The good news. The address is wrong, and that confirms the address on the judgment will be wrong. The defendants address cannot be doctored after the claim form is issued by the court and the writ had the same address as the claim form. Therefore you have grounds to set aside the judgment. If you only apply to stay tghe writ, the judgment is still active, so you must do both on your form n244 application.

In addition the sum they are asking for is not what is owed. I have read many of the posts on phpBB and the general census I get is that I have to apply for the "Judgement to be set aside" Thing is, I don't think time is on my side for that.
There is a test the court will apply when it decides to set aside a judgment in default.

1. Did you know about the proceedings? Your answer is NO and you give the Notice of Enforcement as evidence of the wrong address.

2. Did you act promptly when you became aware of the judgment debt. Your answer - YES, you acted when you were given the Notice of Enforcement.

There is a tird test, and that is whether you have reasonable prospect of defending the claim. Its like a mini-trial.

=
The NOF says I have until 03/09/17 to get in touch or else they will attend the property. I have never received any "Queens bench" (judgement date 18/08/17) documentation in order for me to defend.

You are well within the "reasonable time" remit. Do your application now.

Only this letter, we are talking about, which is in relation to a debt in October 2016, which was in relation to an eviction of a private rental property, sum owing for rental arrears - long story. I say the sum is wrong as they haven't taken into account my deposit that I paid at the outset of the tenancy.

There you have your dedence. Include evidence of the deposit scheme or flow of money and if you have it, the original tenancy.

I am a professional individual and my financial circumstances changed dramatically, which is what led to the eviction. Problem is, the property (which NOF has been issued to) belongs to a member of my family which helped me out by way of allowing me to re-direct my mail whilst I was looking for somewhere to live.
Not inmportant to your application to stay the writ and set aside the judgment.

Just focus on stopping the enforcement power and nullifying the judgment liability with a defence.

I did have a property lined up but it fell through 3 days before I was meant to be moving, so I altered my mail re-direction temporarily (to the family member) until I had secured a new home, and then changed the mail re-direction 3 months later to my new address.
Try not to get too involved in explaining away the redireted mail. The important evidence is the writ and the notice of enforcement address is wrong. Just leave it there.

I do not have any residual income, I previously was self employed (which is why this all happened) but now have a full time job, but all my income goes on living expenses.

If you have a low disposable income, then down load and complete a court form EX160 and you may not have to poay the £255 court fee to file your N244.

I have been in touch with the Citizens Advice Bureau regarding other debts (HMRC £20k+) and they have advised, over much deliberation, that I file for personal bankruptcy, and pay the fees (£650+) in instalments,
Do think this carefully. You have family. Before you enter bankruptcy, you must ring fence your pension fund (if its not a discretionary one), any land and investment capital into a trust fund and your trustees must have a member that does not have an interest in the trust. Search online Family Protection Trust. It protects the family and all property/land, including investment property and guarantees them a roof, food, education, car, etc. without the risk of disinheritance through divorce, bankruptcy, being sued in fact, it protects any statutory liability that puts the security of the family at risk. It only has minimal protection from bailiffs because personal belongings are still owned by the beneficiary ;provided they are not exempt goods under regulation 4.

which obviously will take time to pay off in order to make the application. So my questions are;

1) - Do I contact the HCS and tell them of my new address and invite them round, as I don't have anything for them to take - albeit a car not worth my shirt with no MOT and the usual suspects i.e bed, tv, sofa etc?
No.

2) - Do I contact the HCS and advise them that I intend on going personally bankrupt?
No.

My overall worry is that they attend my family members home as I do not want to advise them on the situation for obvious reasons.
They are not at risk if you are not there or you have no goods or a vehicle there.

As a priority, I would get that N244 and EX160 downloaded and completed because that stops the enforcement power when the application has been granted.

Here is how its done: http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/St ... r-HCEO.htm

Please help!

I look forward to hearing from anyone.
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

buttergirl

#3 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 09 Sep 2017 17:37

Thank you very much for your reply. Just a couple of questions. How long does it take to get the judgement set aside? As in, how long will it take to get a hearing? presumably there is one? Will I have to attend the hearing, as I am some distance to London? And do I have to get the EX160 approved prior to making the application for judgement to be set aside?

I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

Schedule 12

#4 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Schedule 12 » 09 Sep 2017 17:49

buttergirl wrote:
09 Sep 2017 17:37
Thank you very much for your reply. Just a couple of questions. How long does it take to get the judgement set aside?
Its done there and then when you make the application. Take three copies of your N244 and one EX160 and go to room EO1 (east block, just ask reception for directions).

Do your fee application, then go to the master corridor on the 1st floor and see the usher, complete a simple form, and you will be taken into a master.

As in, how long will it take to get a hearing?
There and then if you go in person.

There are high court district registries around the country but these are country-bumkin judges who are a bit slow on the uptake. London High Court (the strand) is much more efficient)

presumably there is one?
You can apply by post, but don't expect anyone to be in any hurry. You can ask your costs and travel expenses on your N244.

[
Will I have to attend the hearing

Yes, but it's not nerve-wracking as you might think. They are only as human as you.

, as I am some distance to London? And do I have to get the EX160 approved

Yes, do that at room EO1 and it's done there and then.
prior to making the application for judgement to be set aside?

You need to apply to stay the writ and set aside the judgment on your N244.

I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

buttergirl

#5 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 09 Sep 2017 19:24

Hi Jason, thank you for your speedy reply. I shall try and get to the court.

Re, EX160 - My income is £2k per month, but after all my living expenses there isn't anything left, albeit £25-£50. Will I get the fees waived? As there is nowhere on the form which asks for expenditure, only income. And the notes for completing the form aren't very clear.

Writ information - When I was evicted from the address in question, I did not leave a forwarding address (although they had my phone number and email). So I have presumed they (HCS) obtained my families address from the mail re-direction. And as I have not seen sight of the original writ, (for all I know, it could have the address on where I used to live, as in the one I was evicted from) one surmises that the writ should have the address that the order was made, no? What I am asking is, what address is the enforcement address? Is it the one on the court official writ (not seen by me) or the address that has come from the bailiff? (a typed letter with "Notice of Enforcement" at the top). Reason I am asking is, if they turn up at the family address with their letter, they will say; that this is the address of the "Notice of Enforcement" as its on their letter and that's the Order of the Court, and that it doesn't matter what address is on the official High Court document, they will try and push me around to make out that there document is the enforcing one. But obviously I'm trying to ascertain whether they will try and conceal this from me if the case is that the official High Court order is the enforcing one. Please, take out of the equation for a minute, that I already know that they cannot enforce anything at my families home. But I am just enquiring. Meaning, if they were to find where I am living now, what is stopping them just changing the address details on their document and saying that this is the "Notice of Enforcement" But if I ask to see the official court order and it has a different address, can I send them away?

Best regards.

Schedule 12

#6 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Schedule 12 » 09 Sep 2017 20:04

buttergirl wrote:
09 Sep 2017 19:24
Hi Jason, thank you for your speedy reply. I shall try and get to the court.

Re, EX160 - My income is £2k per month, but after all my living expenses there isn't anything left, albeit £25-£50. Will I get the fees waived? As there is nowhere on the form which asks for expenditure, only income. And the notes for completing the form aren't very clear.
I don't think you will get remission.

Writ information -

Go by the judgment claim number.

Go online to trust online and run a search on yourself and that should give the judgment claim number. https://www.trustonline.org.uk/

When I was evicted from the address in question, I did not leave a forwarding address (although they had my phone number and email). So I have presumed they (HCS) obtained my families address from the mail re-direction. And as I have not seen sight of the original writ, (for all I know, it could have the address on where I used to live, as in the one I was evicted from) one surmises that the writ should have the address that the order was made, no? What I am asking is, what address is the enforcement address?

The enforcement address is the one on the Notice of Enforcement. Be careful, bailiffs are known to doctor addresses to cover their track if they find out the defendant's service address is wrong.

Is it the one on the court official writ (not seen by me) or the address that has come from the bailiff? (a typed letter with "Notice of Enforcement" at the top). Reason I am asking is, if they turn up at the family address with their letter, they will say; that this is the address of the "Notice of Enforcement"

If you don't have goods a the enforcement address, then the bailiff cannot enforce the writ by taking control of goods.

as its on their letter and that's the Order of the Court, and that it doesn't matter what address is on the official High Court document, they will try and push me around to make out that there document is the enforcing one. But obviously I'm trying to ascertain whether they will try and conceal this from me if the case is that the official High Court order is the enforcing one. Please, take out of the equation for a minute, that I already know that they cannot enforce anything at my families home. But I am just enquiring. Meaning, if they were to find where I am living now, what is stopping them just changing the address details on their document and saying that this is the "Notice of Enforcement" But if I ask to see the official court order and it has a different address, can I send them away?
Yes you can.

paragraph 26 of Schedule 12 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 (TCEA 2007)
  • 26(1)The enforcement agent must on request show the debtor and any person who appears to him to be in charge of the premises evidence of—
    • (a)his identity, and
      (b)his authority to enter the premises.

(2)The request may be made before the enforcement agent enters the premises or while he is there.
Best regards.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#7 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Pote Snitkin » 09 Sep 2017 20:13

You can earn up to £5k a month and still be eligible for a fee reduction. Go here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... bunal-fees

Download the guide, read page 12 onwards.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

buttergirl

#8 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 09 Sep 2017 20:43

Hi Jason

Go by the judgment claim number. Go online to trust online and run a search on yourself and that should give the judgment claim number. https://www.trustonline.org.uk/ - I have tried this, there is nothing on my address? Shall I try the address where the alleged claim was issued?

Additionally, if the bailiffs turn up at my families property and I am not present, what shall I tell them to say to them (presuming I haven't had the N224 resolved, as I don't have the £255 to pay for that)? As clearly I don't think I have much choice but to inform them on what's happening!

I look forward to hearing from you.

buttergirl

#9 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 09 Sep 2017 20:44

You can earn up to £5k a month and still be eligible for a fee reduction. Go here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... bunal-fees

Download the guide, read page 12 onwards.

Thank you Pote, I shall take a look.

Schedule 12

#10 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Schedule 12 » 09 Sep 2017 21:33

buttergirl wrote:
09 Sep 2017 20:43

Additionally, if the bailiffs turn up at my families property and I am not present, what shall I tell them to say to them (presuming I haven't had the N224 resolved, as I don't have the £255 to pay for that)? As clearly I don't think I have much choice but to inform them on what's happening!

I look forward to hearing from you.
Ask a member of your family to complete one of these Template. and if a bailiff turns up, hand a copy to him and get it on video, then ask him to quietly leave.

buttergirl

#11 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 10 Sep 2017 18:01

Thank you Jason for your reply and accompanying template.

In regards to the template, the bottom it says;

"before me:

Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths

What shall we write in that section please?

Also, I don't appear to have received a reply in regards to my question below;

Go by the judgment claim number. Go online to trust online and run a search on yourself and that should give the judgment claim number. https://www.trustonline.org.uk/ - I have tried this, there is nothing on my address? Shall I try the address where the alleged claim was issued?

As always, I look forward to expeditious reply. Thanking you in advance.

Regards

buttergirl

#12 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 10 Sep 2017 18:34

Also, if my family gives the bailiff the "Statutory Declaration" then evidently they will obviously understand that they have sought legal/advice, as clearly no-one has a "Statutory Declaration" hanging around. That being the case, they may ask them where I am living, if my family was to say "I cant help you with that, I'm sorry" would that be classed as obstruction? What would be your advice on this matter please?

buttergirl

#13 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 10 Sep 2017 18:36

Additionally, in regards to the trust online issue, I have tried all of my address and there is nothing registered! How long does it take to enter the register? as the alleged High Court case is dated 18/08/2017. Surely they wouldn't make one up?

Schedule 12

#14 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Schedule 12 » 10 Sep 2017 19:59

buttergirl wrote:
10 Sep 2017 18:34
Also, if my family gives the bailiff the "Statutory Declaration" then evidently they will obviously understand that they have sought legal/advice, as clearly no-one has a "Statutory Declaration" hanging around. That being the case, they may ask them where I am living, if my family was to say "I cant help you with that, I'm sorry" would that be classed as obstruction? What would be your advice on this matter please?
It's not obstruction.

When clients are charged with obstructing a bailiff, it's it must be for obstructing a bailiff acting lawfully. Every time, the prosecution fails because the bailiff was not acting lawfully because the law actually says:
  • (1)A person is guilty of an offence if he intentionally obstructs a person lawfully acting as an enforcement agent.
In your case, he has a warrant with a wrong address and has been given a statutory declaration. The prosecution in your case, would fail.

Schedule 12

#15 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Schedule 12 » 10 Sep 2017 20:03

buttergirl wrote:
10 Sep 2017 18:36
Additionally, in regards to the trust online issue, I have tried all of my address and there is nothing registered! How long does it take to enter the register? as the alleged High Court case is dated 18/08/2017. Surely they wouldn't make one up?
That means not only the address is wrong, there is no judgment. The writ is not originating from a court judgment. It must be something other than an unpaid line of credit. I would hazard a guess the debt is unpaid rent.

Find out who the creditor is.

buttergirl

#16 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 10 Sep 2017 22:20

Hi Jason. Thank you for your reply. The creditor is the ex-landlord.

For clarity - Having read through all paperwork I have, it would appear that it seems you maybe quiet right. It appears that, they (the bailiffs) are trying to collect a debt for unpaid rent relating to a judgement made in the County Court in September 2016. The address that this judgement was registered too is the address that I was evicted from. The last written document I had received was from the County Court by way of a "Notice of Eviction" (NOE). I have heard nothing since this letter (NOE) and that was 11 months ago, until now, which is when I received a letter (late Aug) at an address (family member) which my mail was "temporarily" (only 3 months) being delivered too.

So... The letter received recently from bailiffs, is headed "Notice of Enforcement". The section on this letter relating to the Enforcement details, says; County Court Name (which is the correct one) and the County court number (again correct) and date of CCJ (which is correct). But also contained within this section is information relating to a High Court judgement??? Stating the High Court Name, which reads "Queens Bench", and then says High Court Ref, which reads the same number as the County Court number!! But the Judgement date relating to the High Court is dated in Aug 2017. Implying that there was a hearing in August that I was not aware of!!

I have checked the Registry Trust website and I do not have (as of yet) a CCJ at my old address relating to this matter...and as previously mentioned, nor do I have any High Court Judgements either at any addresses.

So, where does this leave the situation? And what I mean by this is understandably,

1 - I shall no longer require completion of N244, as there is no judgement to set aside - please confirm.
2 - If the bailiffs turn up at my families home, supply them (bailiffs) with the Statutory Declaration. Correct?
3 - Wait until they turn up at my new address (that's if they can find me in time prior to my personal bankruptcy application being concluded p.s. there are no assets to consider on this matter) and then send them away, as the document they are trying to enforce on is at an old address? Or is this now no longer the case as they are trying to enforce a CCJ not a High Court writ. Meaning they are chasing a debt and it is irrelevant as to which address the court order in addressed too?

I welcome your comments. As ever exceptionally grateful of your expertise.

buttergirl

#17 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 10 Sep 2017 22:21

There is also the matter that the amount they are chasing is incorrect, but I guess that is also irrelevant now and should have been contested at the time.

Schedule 12

#18 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Schedule 12 » 10 Sep 2017 22:50

buttergirl wrote:
10 Sep 2017 22:20

So, where does this leave the situation? And what I mean by this is understandably,

1 - I shall no longer require completion of N244, as there is no judgement to set aside - please confirm.
Its unclear what enforcement power (if any) the bailiff has.

Lets see that Notice of Enforcement. It might not be valid if it does not specify the origin of the debt.

2 - If the bailiffs turn up at my families home, supply them (bailiffs) with the Statutory Declaration. Correct?
Yes.

And demand to see the bailiffs identity and the enforcement power. If he doesn't then enforcement fails non-compliant with paragraph 26 of Schedule 12 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 (TCEA 2007)

3 - Wait until they turn up at my new address (that's if they can find me in time prior to my personal bankruptcy application being concluded

Contact your bankruptcy trustee immediately and add this debt to it.

p.s. there are no assets to consider on this matter) and then send them away, as the document they are trying to enforce on is at an old address? Or is this now no longer the case as they are trying to enforce a CCJ not a High Court writ. Meaning they are chasing a debt and it is irrelevant as to which address the court order in addressed too?
The bailiff can only take control of goods where the debtor lives or carries on a trade or business. paragraph 14(6) of Schedule 12 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 (TCEA 2007)

I welcome your comments. As ever exceptionally grateful of your expertise.

buttergirl

#19 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 10 Sep 2017 23:48

Hi Jason

Thanking you again for your reply.

Please would you be kind enough to clarify what you mean by;

"Lets see that Notice of Enforcement. It might not be valid if it does not specify the origin of the debt"

Many thanks.

Regards

Schedule 12

#20 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Schedule 12 » 11 Sep 2017 08:55

Post up a copy of it. I'll tell you if it's compliant with regulations

Hide personal data on it.

buttergirl

#21 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 11 Sep 2017 16:04

Hi Jason

Please find attached as requested. Obviously I have deleted all information apart from the "Queens Bench" part as mentioned.

Best regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Schedule 12

#22 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by Schedule 12 » 11 Sep 2017 17:01

It's not valid because the claim number is blank and it doesn't identify the creditor.

buttergirl

#23 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 11 Sep 2017 17:36

Hi Jason

I blanked out the claim number. The claim number reads the same as the "High Court Ref".

Regards

buttergirl

#24 Re: Notice of enforcement High Court HELP! Wrong address and amount

Post by buttergirl » 11 Sep 2017 17:37

It identifies the creditor above in the section which reads "who you owe money to" again which I have blanked out.