Who is this?

We might be able to work it out.
LemonSherbert

#1 Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 10 Jan 2015 18:43

My neighbour popped over earlier as apparently she had a call on her withheld home number, asking if Mr So And So lived @ number 26.

My neighbour asked who was calling. They told her STA International (shes is not 100% on this) & how on earth they got her number. Person calling seems to shy away from answering my neighbours questions.

All they wanted to know was did Mr So And So live next door. My neighbour said no as she knows her neighbours. Phone went down on her without her own questions answered.

Is this sort of practice allowed?

Is it Bailiffs or something?

How did they get hold of an unlisted ex directory home number, if it is?

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: Who is this?

Post by Pote Snitkin » 10 Jan 2015 19:00

This crowd: https://www.stainternational.com/

Debt tracing company, no tactic too low. Ignore them.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

LemonSherbert

#3 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 10 Jan 2015 19:06

Thanks I'll read the link in a bit.

Are they allowed to do this though?

As my neighbour wasn't happy that they rang her on an unlisted ex directory number. She's also concerned if they now keep calling her.

How can she get them to stop? If they do call again.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#4 Re: Who is this?

Post by Pote Snitkin » 10 Jan 2015 19:08

Report them to BT as malicious communication or harassment.
On 29/07/17, Compo said "If you are interested I actually typed the word label. My spell checker interpreted it as liable" Discuss.

LemonSherbert

#5 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 25 Jan 2015 22:58

I spoke to my neighbour & the number they called from was withheld. So she can't report it nor is she able to stop them from calling again. So far there has been 2 calls made.

It's concerning her as her number is ex directory & she has no idea how they got hold of her number.

Are STA allowed to behave like this? How on earth do they get hold of an ex directory number. Are practices like this legal?

My neighbour isn't a well woman & she can do without these rude calls.

Schedule 12

#6 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 26 Jan 2015 00:03

She need to report it to her telephone provider giving dates and times of the calls. They can prevent the subscriber line that was used to make the calls from calling her number again.

If its a mobile phone, download an app from Google Play and set it to playback a message when a withheld number calls - "leave me a text I'll call back as soon as I can".
Run this Checklist. If no joy, then we'll fix it
Author: dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk

LemonSherbert

#7 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 13 Feb 2015 19:54

I wrote a reply minutes ago & it asked me to log in despite I'm already logged in & now my reply isn't here?

Schedule 12

#8 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 13 Feb 2015 21:34

what was the jist of your rely. Summary is OK.

LemonSherbert

#9 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 27 Feb 2015 08:10

All numbers are withheld & despite speaking to her phone provider, they say they can't help due to data protection & cannot reveal the number.

There's now been quite a few calls, noone who calls will reveal to my neighbour how they got her land line ex directory number. Even her phone provider says they have no idea either.

Now I've had a Bailiff to my door (camera around neck & an ID badge all but hidden behind it) asking for this Mr So And So, as he has a delivery for him. He then held up an A4 sized plastic envelope with paper? inside.

I've told him as far as I know the previous occupants left well over a year ago.

He said okay & left.

Will they now keep coming back?

Schedule 12

#10 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 27 Feb 2015 08:33

No. That will probably be the last of it.

LemonSherbert

#11 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 07 Apr 2015 11:17

Well yet another has come to my door, unbelievably the same guy as last time!

This time though he stated that he had spoken to Mr So & So & that he made an arrangement with him to meet at my house!!!

I was like WTF you talking about?

The Bailiff then stated that Mr So & So must be pulling his leg.

So me who by now is sick of these games told him once again, I do not know this person & that whomever he the Bailiff had supposedly called (yes I'm aware he was lying) was a damn liar too.

At this point the Bailiff said that he was doing an undercover work survey for Mr So & So Company & that is why he was at my door today.

(The lies this man tells are also unreal)

So I stood there & said it's really weird your saying all this stuff as I had someone else here approx a month or so ago, who was also asking for this Mr So & So but on that occasion "the guy" had a delivery for him. (I'm saying this as I know it was the same Bailiff who is at my door with a different BS story). Then I looked at the Bailiff saying you do remind me off him as it goes.

BUSTED!!

As the Bailiff then says as he stutters about, errr ermmm it's possible as we act as agents for many Companies.

At this point I've had enough off his BS & as I go to shut my door on him, I tell him to come back when he has got his story straight!!

I just want this to stop once & for all, along with the calls to my neighbour......

Scully

#12 Re: Who is this?

Post by Scully » 07 Apr 2015 16:16

Oh I love their pre legal debt collection department in maidstone, is that really the begging letter department?

I didn't see any part about them being bailiffs though or even doorstep collectors

Scully

#13 Re: Who is this?

Post by Scully » 07 Apr 2015 16:22

When your student fails to pay us amicably – or ‘pre-legal’ – it will be despite our full and persistent telephone negotiation, culminating in a Letter-Before-Action (LBA). When the LBA fails to provide payment, we will examine the student's solvency and liquidity, and ensure that they have no stated dispute with your invoice(s). Once we can satisfy ourselves with each of these, we will recommend that you move the account to our legal service.

Legal proceedings will begin with the issuing of a Claim via the County Court Bulk Centre (CCBC) in Northampton where the court fees are cheaper than at other standard County Courts. The student has 14 days to respond or pay, before an Application for Entering a Judgment will be made. Once the Judgment is received by the student, Enforcement proceedings will begin using the High Court Sheriff.

Most of the associated legal costs and fees are recoverable from the student, and every attempt will be made to recover the Court’s mandated rates of interest for consumers. For each legal account, we will charge you a Case Preparation Fee of £25, and our normal commission charge will apply to all the monies recovered, and whilst these costs are not recoverable, it’s not unusual for you to end up with more money than your student owed in the original debt.

Throughout the legal process you will have regular contact from the legal team to offer advice and feedback, and full information will also be available on

The above is from their website, I am not sure but i was under the impression that under court rules LBA's should only be sent out once court action has been established as the next step not as a debt collection tool. Maybe someone should report them

LemonSherbert

#14 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 21 May 2015 17:19

FFS!! This is way beyond ridiculous now, as yet another Bailiff has paid a visit (different guy from last 2 x as in my last post) & he was extremely insistent that this Mr So & So was living @ my address & that I am lying to protect this person from them.

This Bailiff was so more forceful with his words & told me that they had traced this Mr So & So @ my address & that I should come clean now before I got myself into serious trouble.

I made it very clear to him that despite what he thinks & says I am not lying & that he was the latest in a line of Bailiffs turning up using various tricks & lies to find this Mr So & So & that they can come knocking @ anytime of the day as he does not live here.

As I went to shut my door on him, he put his foot in the gap & put his hand out holding some sort of paperwork & said I need you to give this to Mr So & So as it won't go away. I didn't take it as this person does not live here.

These Bailiffs won't or can't get it into their thick heads that this person they are after isn't living here. From ringing my neighbour to out right lies like they spoken to Mr So & So & he made arrangement to meet us here/saying they doing a Company survey etc, to accusing me of lying & now this arrogant bully, it's causing me unwanted grief.

Apologies Scully but you have me totally lost ref; Students/LBA & Court. I'm a single mum whose trying to stop these Bailiffs from harassing my neighbour & myself.

Schedule 12

#15 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 21 May 2015 20:16

Call police on 999 reporting a disturbance In progress. They'll deal with it.

angeleyes6

#16 Re: Who is this?

Post by angeleyes6 » 25 May 2015 15:11

Trouble is now Jason Police numbers have been reduced and if in say rural location unlikely they would bother to come or come too late.

LemonSherbert

#17 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 31 Jul 2015 16:39

The Police won't do anything, as they say it's not a crime to knock/ring a phone to ask if someone lives there.

I've no idea what to do.

Schedule 12

#18 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 31 Jul 2015 19:15

It's a crime if it falls under the malicious communications act.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#19 Re: Who is this?

Post by Pote Snitkin » 31 Jul 2015 19:34

Is this still going on? After all this time?

LemonSherbert

#20 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 22 Sep 2015 08:26

Sadly yes it is still ongoing.

I've had a few more visits & from the little I've managed to get from the Bailiffs, it's to do with an extremely large £ involved. As such they are chasing this person for a big pay day.

Which means I'm being accused of knowing this person & shielding them from the Bailiffs. Which isn't the case at all.

They won't believe me & turn up with various BS stories, such as a delivery/sent by Employer/Court paperwork/made arrangements to meet/spoken on phone from my address all relating to Mr So & So.

None of which is true. It's just so annoying to be accused of lying & have them keep coming & for them to ring my neighbours.

So I've now had cctv installed & from now on I'll be ignoring any Bailiff that comes. As there's nothing else I can do to stop them. Hopefully they will finally give up.

Schedule 12

#21 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 22 Sep 2015 08:47

That is unusually persistent. Report each attendance on 101 as a nuisance caller and loitering in the neighbourhood.

LemonSherbert

#22 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 24 Sep 2015 11:52

They are totally persistent & I'm at the point where I've had enough, especially with their vile accusations & lies.

Thanks for your suggestion, I've spoken to the Police & they have advised me that they cannot actually do anything, as no laws have been broken. To quote, They the Bailiffs are just doing their jobs, even if it's causing me unnecessary stress & in future not to open the door to them.

This Mr So & So is apparently a big pay day, which is why they are like a dog with a bone & won't leave me alone.

It's just so annoying & frustrating.

Schedule 12

#23 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 24 Sep 2015 15:33

If they are not properly complying with enforcement regulations, they are NOT acting lawfully.

That means an offence is being committed under section 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, and you can report it to police.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1997/40/section/2

Can you say what kind of debt the bailiff is pestering you about, I can point you to the appropriate legislation.

LemonSherbert

#24 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 05 Aug 2016 17:38

Sorry for not coming back before but I've had to deal with so much in the past year it made me seriously ill.

Noone could help me with regards to getting the Bailiffs to stop coming. The Police have told me several times that unless the bailiff behaves in a certain manner then there's nothing they can actually do. I was told point blank it is not harassment if a person knocks on a door to ask for someone.

I do not have any ideas as to what the debt is about as I do not know this Mr So & So. The Bailiffs just ask for him & use underhand tactics like lying saying. Mr So & So said he would meet me here @ 1pm or that he had spoken to Mr So & So on the phone & that he agreed to settle the debt £ as well as all the other lies I stated in post 20.

One bailiff I spoke too after telling him about all the other bailiffs visiting me & their lies, told me that this matter was taken to the High Court & that it involved a considerable sum. I asked him if he could please let his office know that I've no idea who this guy is & to stop sending anyone else to my home. He replied saying that my address was his last know location & thats how they traced him to here.

Schedule 12

#25 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 07 Aug 2016 14:34

You need to make a WRITTEN complaint to police and hand in any paperwork the bailiff company has left behind. They have a duty to investigate written complaints, but not complaints made verbally.

LemonSherbert

#26 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 25 Oct 2016 07:26

Hi once again,

Oh boy! Over this past year I've gotten & collected a big pile of mail for the same Mr So & So that I've had bailiffs knocking on my door for.

I threw away some & opened others. All the mail is with regards to PDL loans taken out this year for approx £6000 & now I'm getting Dartford toll fines, 3 so far..... There's also a warrant letter amongst them & Court paper work for CCJ x 2 & other things as well.

This Mr So & So is obviously using my address to take out these PDL loans & everything else. It's a nightmare as I've no way of stopping him. I did contact a few companies to try putting a stop to this awful mess. Some are better than others, others just want paying.

I'm now awaiting the Bailiffs to start knocking again.

I've done a bit of research & I've put together a file of my own personal documents to prove who I am & that it's my name on CT/bills etc. This I hope will go towards helping me stopping the bailiffs when they come calling.

Am I doing this right? Anything else you can suggest please?

Thanks

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#27 Re: Who is this?

Post by Pote Snitkin » 25 Oct 2016 09:03

Call the police and report identity theft. Get a crime number.

Schedule 12

#28 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 25 Oct 2016 09:27

I'm not sure it's identity theft as the address is being used. Nonetheless, fraudulently.

LemonSherbert

#29 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 26 Oct 2016 07:03

Many thanks for your replies.

Jasons correct, it isn't identity theft as he isn't using my name & details to get the PDLS & so forth. Everything is in the exact same name as this Mr So & So, just at my address. It could be he once used to live there, I also do get mail for another male name but these are junk mail items.

I can't even go with fraud as it's not my details being used. It's infuriating & peeing me off as I know the Bailiffs are going to come calling again, especially with the toll fines, CCJs & all those PDL loans!

:( :(

Amy
Admin

#30 Re: Who is this?

Post by Amy » 26 Oct 2016 11:09

Have you checked the electoral roll and your credit files to check if something or someone is there that should not be?

Schedule 12

#31 Re: Who is this?

Post by Schedule 12 » 26 Oct 2016 11:21

It only costs £2, here is a Template.

LemonSherbert

#32 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 27 Oct 2016 06:27

Many, many thanks to you both Amy & Jason.

I never actually thought of checking my credit files or the electoral roll, so will do so today.

I will let you know how I get on.

LemonSherbert

#33 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 02 Nov 2016 07:10

Morning all,

Right so I've been doing a bit of checking as per my last post.

Credit files, I checked with Noodle & Experian, both show only me & my files. There's no mention of a Mr So & So, all creditors listed are indeed mine.

Electoral roll, again just shows myself & my 2 sons & no mention of Mr So & So. I can only check back a couple years as that's how long we've now lived here.

So my guess is that this Mr So & So either used to live here at some point or its someone using a fake address (as it were) to get PDL loans etc.

I did receive another letter for him the other day, this time it's for another PDL loan for £1000 to which he has to pay back approx £3/4000 on, it seems he's made 1 payment towards it. I assume at some point he will stop paying & it will end up with my getting more letters & visits from Bailiffs in the future.

Like I don't get enough already? Lol

I've told my sons not to let Bailiffs in the house & to let me deal with any that show up. I've got a file together of my documents to prove I live here & I've got a pile of debt letters/fines for this Mr So & So to show what the scumbag is up to.

LemonSherbert

#34 Re: Who is this?

Post by LemonSherbert » 01 Dec 2016 17:12

So I've now a large stack of debt letters/fines/loans/defaults & the list grows.

It's seriously unbelievable how many companies all want money & are chasing Mr So & So.

Now I'm waiting for the Bailiffs to start up again. Once they do my plan is to hand them a stack of these letters & ask them to pass them on as & when they finally catch up to him!

As I've discovered there's nothing I can do.

Amy
Admin

#35 Re: Who is this?

Post by Amy » 01 Dec 2016 17:17

Can you write to the creditors (not the debt collectors) with proof of who you are and where you live and ask that they stop bothering you because you are not this person?