PRA Group

We might be able to work it out.
angeleyes6

#1 PRA Group

Post by angeleyes6 » 16 Feb 2015 12:25

Can anyone help me with template or something because suddenly out of the blue i received letter from this PRA Group which was Aktiv Kapital(UK)Ltd. States i owe £2723.37 to Lloyds.

I don't believe i've had an account with them i did once with TSB but it was not Lloyds at the time and have never heard from them to say i owe this money and i've been at present address 18yrs. Apparently i've fallen behind with payments period covered 13/01/2014-12/01/2015 and apparently payments received are £90.

Have been with my present bank must be 10yrs or more and before that Halifax. Signature to letter seems to be computer generated. It even states we will continue to receive payments in the name of Aktiv Kapital UK Ltd.

Never heard of any of these people before.

jasonDWB

#2 Re: PRA Group

Post by jasonDWB » 16 Feb 2015 12:49

You don't need to do anything. No court has ordered you to pay anything, therefore, there is no power to take enforcement action against you.

You might get a bowler-hatted Mr. Niceguy asking your name and all that, but that's as far as it goes.
Author, Dealing with Bailiffs. Beat the Bailiffs
Instant phone consultation with me: Click here

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#3 Re: PRA Group

Post by Pote Snitkin » 16 Feb 2015 13:14

So they've sent you a letter saying you've fallen in arrears with payments that you have no knowledge of, regarding a debt you have no knowledge of?

I'd check my bank account for any 'mystery' payments from before 13/1/14.
It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority. - Benjamin Franklin

On 22/2/17, Peterbard said "taking control of goods and selling them does not actually mean taking control of goods and selling them." Discuss.

angeleyes6

#4 Re: PRA Group

Post by angeleyes6 » 16 Feb 2015 13:19

Thank you Jason,think i put this in wrong place,sorry!

Pote they do not have access to my bank account at all whatsoever. Never heard of the loons before ever!

Amy
Admin

#5 Re: PRA Group

Post by Amy » 16 Feb 2015 13:38

They could have the wrong person. If you have never heard of this crowd before and do not owe what they say you do, then I would ignore it.

If anything else happens, then post back.

x

jasonDWB

#6 Re: PRA Group

Post by jasonDWB » 16 Feb 2015 13:50

You can report it to the police. something like this....
RE: Reporting of Criminal Offences

The law:

Sections 2 and 4 of the Fraud Act 2006
Sections 1 and 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997

By way of introduction I am a [single mother/Vulnerable person/unemployed/seriously ill/pregnant etc] and I have been receiving demands for money I do not owe. The offences that I describe hereafter have affected all our conditions and caused us considerable distress.

These matters concerns the activities of a firm called [NAME OF DEBT FIRM] saying that I owe money when I do not, and by doing so they have intentionally committed a whole litany of criminal offences. I was very frightened by the letters, but knowing that I had paid off all my council tax, I obviously thought that some straightforward mistake had been made that I could clear up.

By the making of these unlawful demands, I have been caused severe stress and anxiety as have my children. I am thus making this complaint because I understand it is an offence under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 because [NAME OF DEBT FIRM] ought to know that by demanding money when he knows nothing is lawfully due, means that he is not acting lawfully as a debt collector.

This is a written complaint and I confirm that I am happy to assist you with your inquiries and stand as a prosecution witness at trial.

Yours,

angeleyes6

#7 PRA Group

Post by angeleyes6 » 25 May 2015 15:05

I received a letter dated 11th May for an outstanding balance of £2,633.37 with voucher on same page worth up to £1053.35 Pay as little as £1580.02 by 31st May. But what it is for remains a mystery as no original creditor named so i ignored it probably to my cost.

Today 25th May a knock came at my door though i never answer when not expecting anyone in any case so i looked through a bedroom window only to see two men one bald dressed in black shirts and trousers getting into a small white van of which i made note of Reg number which was Y207 MOT but 'cos i don't know what make it is can't seem to find out who it belongs to. What should i do now?

angeleyes6

#8 Re: PRA Group

Post by angeleyes6 » 25 May 2015 17:02

Just realised i posted this under Dont know what type of bailiff you've got back in Feb..so i will look through my filing system as am sure PRA wrote a couple letters back then with figure errors too.

delta157

#9 Re: PRA Group

Post by delta157 » 25 May 2015 20:10

PRA are a bunch of debt collection agents, they probably have a debt they paid a pittance for as part of a bulk purchase.
https://www.pragroup.uk.com/contact-us/

The fact they have dressed up like Enforcement Agents is a big no no. You don't even have to talk to them at the door. Just ask them to leave, if they refuse or start to harass you call the Police. Also would pay you to video their claims for future reference.

Check out your credit file just in case.

angeleyes6

#10 Re: PRA Group

Post by angeleyes6 » 25 May 2015 22:08

Hi Delta the thing is i do not owe the money and way over 10yrs if i did do never mind statutory 6yrs! I just want to get these jerks off my back.

angeleyes6

#11 Re: PRA Group

Post by angeleyes6 » 01 Jun 2015 13:48

I ended up using a prove it letter from Legal Beagle site quoting No debt is acknowledged to your company yet you have contacted me regarding the above alleged Ref....

On 27th May;

As i am sure you are aware under "The Limitation Act 1980 Section 5" an action unfounded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from date o which the cause accrued".

No correspondence/payment/acknowledgement of this supposed debt has been made within the last six years and accordingly unless you can provide true evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of The Limitation Act 1980 I suggest you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover any alleged amount claimed.

Furthermore to OFT Debt Collectionn Guidance states that " continuing to press for payment after a supposed debtor has stated they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to Harassment contrary to Section 40(1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970".

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above Ref...and written confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your early reply.

Reply as of 1st June;

Re.... Outstanding Balance £0.00

We refer to your recent communication regarding the above referenced account.

We have investigated the issues raised (yes of course you have!), and can confirm that legal action on this account would be statute barred as the limitations period has expired. We have therefore taken the decision not to pursue this matter any further.

We can confirm that the account is now closed and you should receive no further contact from us with regards this matter.

Please contact us if you have any further queries..

an internet signature....

DirtySmurf

#12 Re: PRA Group

Post by DirtySmurf » 01 Jun 2015 16:59

Job Done

I was just about to give you a template for Statute Barred debt, but you've already done it.

Well done, you shouldn't hear from them again.

mashigana2001

#13 Re: PRA Group

Post by mashigana2001 » 02 Jun 2015 06:58

Hi

Having worked for this company (pra group) I can advise that 99% of the aktiv kapital debt is statute barred,i would maybe look into this as well as its unenforceable,I'm new on here and if i can help or aid anyone in regards to this company I am quite happy to do this.
thanks

angeleyes6

#14 Re: PRA Group

Post by angeleyes6 » 08 Jun 2015 12:59

Thanks to all your comments,much appreciated. :D

I certainly knew i was on the right side of the fence, metaphorically speaking lol I hope what i wrote above may be of assistance to anyone else too.

Delta

#15 Re: PRA Group

Post by Delta » 14 Aug 2015 00:11

Hi,
I've just received a letter today from PRA Group,
I went bankrupt 3 years ago and have sine changed address.

This letter was in my re-directed post saying we are attempting to contact
above person etc can you please let up know if possible new address.

All my debts we included in Bankruptcy.
Do I contact them or ???

jasonDWB

#16 Re: PRA Group

Post by jasonDWB » 14 Aug 2015 08:51

Was the debt declared on your form? If yes then it's a nullity.

Delta

#17 Re: PRA Group

Post by Delta » 14 Aug 2015 09:20

I don't know what the debt is for? it doesnt give any explanations? and I'm frightened of calling them as I've heard if they speak with you within the 6 years it awakes the debt -
But I thought everything was included in my bankruptcy, which wasnt massive

jasonDWB

#18 Re: PRA Group

Post by jasonDWB » 14 Aug 2015 09:31

If you dont know what is is for then bin it.

The Notice of Enforcment is a statutory document and the law says it must contain sufficient information to enable the person whom it is given to identify the debt. Regulation 7(e)(i) of the Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013

Delta

#19 Re: PRA Group

Post by Delta » 14 Aug 2015 22:27

Even thought it has Ref No's on. Although not the name of the company they are collecting for . ?

tonyd38

#20 Re: PRA Group

Post by tonyd38 » 18 Nov 2015 12:33

Hi

I have recieved to voicemails today from PRA, which I have feeling are to do with fake company called LG Marketing & Advertising LTD. They called me up the other month offering a magazine space for my PT business in a police mag, gave me prices etc to which I said yes sounds good. Anyway got an invoice for £250, so I looked up the company to find out it is a scam, and use police force magazines etc all over to sell space. Had lots of no number missed calls then the other day missed call with voicemail from this company. I know believe they are using PRA, what should I do as I don't owe money to anyone and this LG group are the only ones I know that have my number.

Thank you

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#21 Re: PRA Group

Post by Pote Snitkin » 18 Nov 2015 14:29

Ignore it. Nothing they can do.
It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority. - Benjamin Franklin

On 22/2/17, Peterbard said "taking control of goods and selling them does not actually mean taking control of goods and selling them." Discuss.

bluemonkey

#22 Re: PRA Group

Post by bluemonkey » 18 Nov 2015 22:30

they have bought a debt for pennies in the £, and now want you to pay them for it, the 3 letter process is good for this, as it asks for proof that they lawfully have the right to ask for payment and proof you actually owe the money, there is groups on facebook, CA3

bluemonkey

#23 Re: PRA Group

Post by bluemonkey » 18 Nov 2015 22:37

Delta wrote:Hi,
I've just received a letter today from PRA Group,
I went bankrupt 3 years ago and have sine changed address.

This letter was in my re-directed post saying we are attempting to contact
above person etc can you please let up know if possible new address.

All my debts we included in Bankruptcy.
Do I contact them or ???
if your bankrupt, phone up the IR and tell them you are being harressed to pay a debt, as long as debt was in your name and was from before the bankrupty order, then it will be included in it

Lexi

#24 Re: PRA Group

Post by Lexi » 30 Nov 2015 16:21

Hi all, just been reading this info about Pra Group, they are on my credit report stating I'm defaulting payments yet I'm regularly paying them £20 per month. They are known as Aktiv Kapital on my bank statement, but I'm now concerned because my credit has been completely destroyed... are they not a legitimate company can anyone help advise me please..

Amy
Admin

#25 Re: PRA Group

Post by Amy » 30 Nov 2015 22:11

Yes, they are a legitimate company.

Did you have a debt and are now repaying it at £20 per month? If so, it will be the debt itself that you defaulted on rather than the repayments.

Lexi

#26 Re: PRA Group

Post by Lexi » 01 Dec 2015 16:35

Hi Amy thank you for your response

Yes I defaulted on an MBNA credit card back in 2004 (redundancy).. I then was passed to a company called aktiv Kapital then it changed to Pra Group, I'm gutted this has destroyed my credit score, especially when I also spoke to Barclaycard same period about difficulties , but the company who they gave my credit card debt to and whom Im paying back to has not got default payments on my credit report, they are just recording my payments as on time, this is why I cant understand Pra Group defaulting an original debt which has been closed on my credit report (with MBNA) does that make sense, its confusing me.

Marxie

#27 Re: PRA Group

Post by Marxie » 20 Dec 2015 15:31

Hi can anyone advise me how PRA group can buy a debt which is over 17yrs old, which I had already been given a ccj for at the time, this was a joint named debt that my ex ran up with the Halifax after we'd separated, I've already had the ccj and suffered with bad credit for 6 yrs can this company really come after me again, they've now managed to get my new husbands office number and calling for me there ... Please help

Andy

#28 Re: PRA Group

Post by Andy » 20 Dec 2015 20:16

17 years? My goodness. Well in short no, they cannot, civil debts that have been awarded (CCJs) have a lifespan of 6 years. This is under the section 7 Limitations Act 1980:
7 Time limit for actions to enforce certain awards.

An action to enforce an award, where the submission is not by an instrument under seal, shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.
2nd Year University Law Student.

Nemesis

#29 Re: PRA Group

Post by Nemesis » 20 Dec 2015 21:02

Andy
Nationaldebtline would disagree with you

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/fac ... ge-05.aspx

It would seem you have misread the legislation

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#30 Re: PRA Group

Post by Pote Snitkin » 20 Dec 2015 21:20

A CCJ over 6 years old that has yet to be enforced would need court permission to use enforcement. Seeing as this debt is 17 (!) years old, I wouldn't envisage that happening.

Amy
Admin

#31 Re: PRA Group

Post by Amy » 20 Dec 2015 21:38

Nemesis wrote:Andy

Use a proxy get banned (Jamie Vardy esq).

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#32 Re: PRA Group

Post by Pote Snitkin » 20 Dec 2015 21:51

Leicester City fan then...

Amy
Admin

#33 Re: PRA Group

Post by Amy » 20 Dec 2015 21:55

Wrong shaped ball for me, but I have sons...

Michelle

#34 Re: PRA Group

Post by Michelle » 21 Dec 2015 01:44

Nemesis wrote:Andy

Judgments don't go statute barred but if the creditor makes no attempt to enforce them in the first six years, they are very unlikely to be given permission by the court to enforce them.

Because CCJs drop off the record after six years, it can be difficult to prove there is one for a certain debt unless the creditor is in possession of a copy of the judgment. A lot of people with old CCJs are chased by creditors who have no idea the debts are subject to a judgment. :xmas_lol:
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.

Michelle

#35 Re: PRA Group

Post by Michelle » 21 Dec 2015 01:47

Marxie wrote:Hi can anyone advise me how PRA group can buy a debt which is over 17yrs old, which I had already been given a ccj for at the time, this was a joint named debt that my ex ran up with the Halifax after we'd separated, I've already had the ccj and suffered with bad credit for 6 yrs can this company really come after me again, they've now managed to get my new husbands office number and calling for me there ... Please help
Are PRA aware of the existence of the judgment? If not, don't mention it! :xmas_smile:

Your husband should refuse to speak to them on the phone and tell them to communicate only in writing. :xmas_lol:
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.