Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

We might be able to work it out.
BobTheWalrus

#1 Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by BobTheWalrus » 26 Sep 2016 19:35

My friends moved abroad a couple of years ago. Recently her old neighbour from the UK contacted her to say that the bailiffs had been round looking for her on two separate occasions. Because they have been gone a while they aren't receiving any forwarded mail any more, so they're not sure what the bailiffs want or what it's about. Her husband thinks it might be a speeding fine he left unpaid before they moved. Could that be the case? How would they go about finding out what the bailiffs want and how they can sort it out?

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#2 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by Pote Snitkin » 26 Sep 2016 19:40

I wouldn't worry about it - the bailiff isn't going to give details anyway. The debtors have moved abroad - that's now the bailiff's problem, no-one elses.
It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority. - Benjamin Franklin

On 22/2/17, Peterbard said "taking control of goods and selling them does not actually mean taking control of goods and selling them." Discuss.

jasonDWB

#3 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by jasonDWB » 26 Sep 2016 19:46

When the bailiff turns up, just show some photo ID and that'll be the end of it.
Author, Dealing with Bailiffs. Beat the Bailiffs
Instant phone consultation with me: Click here

BobTheWalrus

#4 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by BobTheWalrus » 26 Sep 2016 20:19

Why would the bailiff not give details? I know they wouldn't give details to the third party but surely they should tell the person involved what the debt is that they're collecting on?

BobTheWalrus

#5 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by BobTheWalrus » 26 Sep 2016 20:21

jasonDWB wrote:When the bailiff turns up, just show some photo ID and that'll be the end of it.
Not sure if was clear but it's not me the bailiffs have come to. The person now living at the address has told the bailiffs that the person they want (my friend) has moved abroad. But my friend is worried that if she comes back here to visit, the bailiffs will arrest her! Also, she wants to actually pay what they owe because she feels that's the right thing to do.

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#6 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by Pote Snitkin » 26 Sep 2016 20:24

If she's that adamant then she can pass on a forwarding address.
It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority. - Benjamin Franklin

On 22/2/17, Peterbard said "taking control of goods and selling them does not actually mean taking control of goods and selling them." Discuss.

BobTheWalrus

#7 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by BobTheWalrus » 26 Sep 2016 20:39

How would she best do that? Just give it to the people in her old property so they can pass it on when the bailiffs next come? Or is there a way to track down who the company is and what its about? eg: they think it's a speeding fine, so could they go through the DVLA?

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#8 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by Pote Snitkin » 26 Sep 2016 20:43

Just ask the neighbours to pass it on. The bailiff will then return the warrant as he can't enforce it but will give the new address to the creditor.

Michelle

#9 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by Michelle » 26 Sep 2016 20:49

BobTheWalrus wrote:
jasonDWB wrote:When the bailiff turns up, just show some photo ID and that'll be the end of it.
Not sure if was clear but it's not me the bailiffs have come to. The person now living at the address has told the bailiffs that the person they want (my friend) has moved abroad. But my friend is worried that if she comes back here to visit, the bailiffs will arrest her! Also, she wants to actually pay what they owe because she feels that's the right thing to do.
Bailiffs would be after payment, vehicles or goods rather than to arrest her. Why would she think that? Without knowing anything about the debt or her situation, its hard to comment further. If she owns property or assets in the UK, the creditor could record a charge on her home and even make her bankrupt, depending on the amounts owed. If she's got no assets then there's very little they could do to her.
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.

BobTheWalrus

#10 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by BobTheWalrus » 29 Sep 2016 11:17

one more question: anyone know if my friend would be liable for the ticket if her husband was the one who incurred it? They drove separate cars so the ticket would have gone to him, but would they both be liable?

Pote Snitkin
The Watcher

#11 Re: Bailiff after someone has moved abroad

Post by Pote Snitkin » 29 Sep 2016 11:22

If it's a speeding ticket then the driver is responsible. If this is not the registered keeper (RK) then when the notice arrives the RK must provide the driver details.

If it's a PCN (parking ticket) then the RK is liable if no-one else admits liability, even if they weren't the driver.